Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Triad OHC Air Filter Conversion

Bill725

After 15 frustrating years of dealing with the well documented issues (grass clippings and continued rising cost) of the Kohler OHC Triad air filter, I finally converted my Sovereign to use the Command air filter. I machined a new base plate for the Command air filter, extending it forward, left and right to the valve covers and rearward over the blower housing openings to prevent the grass clippings from getting to the air filter. I actually purchased a K&N air filter and filter wrap, and am using the Kohler Command inner air cleaner seal and cover. I will see how well it works when the mowing season starts.

I'm curious, did you modify the Triad air cleaner as Al described and still had issues?

From a 5/18/11 post by Al:

The air cleaner box is shallower than the CH. The air cleaner has the same number of square inches of filter as the CH. Due to the low profile the pleats are deeper. The box is in direct line from the blower and is like blowing into a shoe box. The Simplicity deck is a very good cutting deck and the blade tip bottoms are even with the bottom of the deck housing in front. This increases the blow out in front of the deck, but provides the best cut and lifting of the grass. These engines have very efficient fans and suck the chaff in very efficiently. The result is the air cleaner box may be packed full in an hour or 2 in dry mowing conditions. My night guy has a Sovereign and used about 8 air filters a season, and cleaned them every 2 to 4 hours of use. We cut 2 "mouse holes" in the PTO end of the air cleaner cover to let the chaff blow on through and he now uses one air cleaner element a year.

I had an issue while rototilling last spring where a air new cleaner became so dirty the engine sucked oil thru the breather creating smoke out the exhaust. Thought I blew up the motor. Also, got sick of paying $25 for air cleaners, bought some off eBay, but that supply will dry up soon. So, I decided it was time to see if I could convert to Command air filter and try to prevent grass clippings from getting to the air filter by blocking the blower housing holes. I machined a "new" air filter base plate out of 1/4" X 8" X 12" aluminum. Placed the center of the round air filter in the center of the forward base to intake elbow mounting screw hole. Used the gasket to locate and drill the other (2) mounting holes and machine the rectangular intake elbow hole. Drilled the aft hole for the intake manifold stud. Tack welded a 5-1/2" OD X 1/4" wall X 1/4" long aluminum tube in the center to locate the air filter to the base plate. Contoured the front and back edges just like the front of the OEM base. Had to grind relief for the gas line going to carb and relieve the LH rear corner for wiring. Used threaded rod & flange nut to hold down base plate in the center. Used tubing to fit over the stud and cut to length to support the air cleaner seal. Put on the new air filter cover and wing nut.

I'd love to see some pictures of that also. I have a triad and am looking to do something similar so it'll last longer and be more efficient.

I know there a post with pictures that talks about the modifications to the air cleaner. The trick will be to find it.

Rick.......

• 1 month later...

Just finished my first lawn mowing since I converted my Triad air cleaner and was very surprised to not see any grass clipping on the air cleaner. Kicking myself for not doing the conversion sooner.