Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wheels and tires

isetta

Gettin tougher to find 14" wheels for my tractor hauling trailer. Any suggestions on where to find a set of 4 alloy or steel 14 x 6 with 5 lug 4.5 pattern? I picked up an almost new set of 14" made for trailer tires thinking wheels would be easy and cheap. The local U - Pick had none... zero, really surprised me.

Rick I purchase wheels at Johnson surplus, don't know the town but over by South Bend in southern MI. on route 12. They usally have a good selection new wheels

I removed my 14 inch wheels and replaced them with a set of 15 inch wheels from a Jeep. Older fords, Dodge and Plymouth, and Jeeps have the same bolt pattern as most trailers.

On the Jeep wheels I used a wider, lower profile tire than the original trailer tire, to keep the diameter the same. I use passenger car tires, not trailer tires. The passenger car tires have a much higher factor of safety than trailer tires because they are designed to carry people, and will carry more weight than a comparable trailer tire if inflated properly. If this were not true, then it would not be illegal to put trailer tires on automobiles. Most of my trailer tires end up being used car and truck tires since you hardly ever wear out a tire on a trailer. I have put thousands of miles with some very heavy loads on my trailers and never had a blowout with the automobile tires.

Thanks all for the replies. The resources and experience this group has are amazing! Should have done my homework before pulling the trigger on those trailer tires but looks like I have found a set of 14's from within the club that will work great. Now just have to get them back to MI from OH....

Craigslist, gotta love it. My favorite go-to source for just about anything : )

quote:Originally posted by mikeman

Craigslist:D

id="quote">
id="quote">

Hey Rod, yep, lots more availability and options for trailer tires and wheels with car stuff. I picked up these Goodyear Marathon radials for a great price and probably should have checked on wheel availability first. The 14 wheels are out there though so this project is going forward!

quote:Originally posted by HubbardRA

I removed my 14 inch wheels and replaced them with a set of 15 inch wheels from a Jeep. Older fords, Dodge and Plymouth, and Jeeps have the same bolt pattern as most trailers.On the Jeep wheels I used a wider, lower profile tire than the original trailer tire, to keep the diameter the same. I use passenger car tires, not trailer tires. The passenger car tires have a much higher factor of safety than trailer tires because they are designed to carry people, and will carry more weight than a comparable trailer tire if inflated properly. If this were not true, then it would not be illegal to put trailer tires on automobiles. Most of my trailer tires end up being used car and truck tires since you hardly ever wear out a tire on a trailer. I have put thousands of miles with some very heavy loads on my trailers and never had a blowout with the automobile tires.

id="quote">
id="quote">

Originally posted by isetta

Hey Rod, yep, lots more availability and options for trailer tires and wheels with car stuff. I picked up these Goodyear Marathon radials for a great price and probably should have checked on wheel availability first. The 14 wheels are out there though so this project is going forward!

quote:
id="quote">I don't have a problem with passenger tires on a trailer, I do it too, but watch your state laws. Last I knew it was illegal here in New York.

quote:Originally posted by 720nut

Rick I purchase wheels at Johnson surplus, don't know the town but over by South Bend in southern MI. on route 12. They usally have a good selection new wheels

id="quote">
id="quote">White Pigeon, MI. Johnson's, and Bontragers salvage, on 12 closer to Sturgis.The problem with passenger car tires on a trailer, is when you make a tight turn with a trailer, there can be extreme sidewall flex. Passenger car tires are not designed for that, whereas trailer tires are. Occasional use probably wouldn't be a problem, but if someone was using a trailer commercially, or constantly, there might be an issue.