Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

triad is it worth it

cs917

I got a Sovereign last fall. The local mower shop owner called me when his customer didn't what to replace the engine. I got ever thing. My question is it worth taking it apart to see if I can repair it??

I think it has a broken rod. There is no damage to the block that I can tell.It only turns a little each way before it gets tight.Are the parts easy to get for these engines or are they no longer available?

I have been a Diesel Tech for 20 years so I am not a first timer.

I have a KT 17 I could put in it but I don't want to remove it from the tractor its in.

Thanks Chris

Ronald Hribar

Kohler had problems with Triad

It was quickly discontinued

Put a Command in its place or a Vanguard or a Honda

I picked up a tractor with blown Triad about 2 years ago. The PO told me many parts are NLA and those that are, are very expensive.

As to "no damage to the block as far as I can tell", the main problem was the fins would clog, run hot, and drop a sleeve.

As Ron stated, best option is to replace the engine.

I found out that the PO son changed the oil but forgot to put oil back in it. It only ran for a short time then quit..

I have a 917 that I use for everything and a 7117 that is a project and this came along. This one is very nice with power steering and a nice deck. thanks for your input