Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HB Tire Changer-Mini or Reg

MikeES

I bought the mini tire changer from Harbor Freight, I have not tried it yet but I am concerned that I will not be able to un-mount the tires off from deep dish (large offset) 12" wheels with it.Does HB regular tire changer work on the 8" front tires? The the center column/rod fit inside the hub of the front wheels?To leave the outer bearing race in place the front wheels could handle a shaft of 1-3/8".I am thinking of taking it back and exchange...the price is the same.The mini is short so here's my idea to make it more ergo friendly.

wbtrchgr1.JPG

wbkbrecr.JPG

wbmntrchgr2.jpg

wbtrchgr1.JPG.a61aa93353138f7b4c17c519ce6736d8.JPG

wbkbrecr.JPG.088ec0efbde4a49444181975abe5e1b9.JPG

wbmntrchgr2.jpg.84d0388e66f1995e8ca328d72cd182e3.jpg

Fronts will not fit over the center post on my larger one.

I don't use the small one though. I break them with a 6" bench vise then take them apart by hand.

The large machine will break the beads on the small tires too.

After using the large one, I don't think you will have the leverage on the small one to break down many 12"

The larger machine works well on the larger 12" and normal auto tires.

Bob Ebert(ALLIS579) used it on some front wheels of mine, BUT Both reaces were removed from them.

For the smaller wheels with the 3/4" or 1" shafts, I use thread all in a piece of 4x4 in a 6" vise to secure them, and go at it!

BTW the larger machine worked well even on safety beadings. dOd

Wayne

I have both and am contemplating getting the attachment to do motorcycle tires. Money well spent.Large is bolted to shop floor and small is mounted on one of my benches....Dave

I've broken the beads on the smaller front rims with my Harbor Freight 20 ton hydraulic press then used screwdrivers to remove the tire.

I've never used the HF mini changer. I have used the HF large one (with it bolted to the floor) on 15" car tires but the shaft is too big for the smaller front tractor rims. Recently I bought a Coats 4040A tire machine & that works better on car tires but wouldn't do the smaller front tractor tires. The center shaft is too big & it only does 10" to 17" rims.

Just make sure you push the tire bead in the drop center of the rim while you pry with screwdrivers on the opposite side so the tire comes off easier otherwise you will fight it off all the way.

I also like your portable hitch attachment. dOd

With all of your feedback, I think I will keep the mini, and try it tomorrow, on some std 12" wheels.

My main reason is for the 8" front tires and wheels (I usually break the bead with the FEL bucket on the Kubota, which sometimes does not have enough weight to get it done. They are the hardest to break the bead and the hardest to un-mount trying to hold that small wheel down while prying the tire off.

My other concern was changing (not that I have any plans in the near future) pulling tires 26x12x12 on 12" wide aluminum wheels with an 8" offset.

Thanks, for all the input.

I tried using the the mini changer today. It did not work for me. :(! It could not break the bead on a standard 23x10.5x12 tire and wheel.

I broke the beads like I have in the past with the FEL bucket on the Kubota.

I also was not able to un-mount the tires with the tools that came with the kit, even with lots of tire lube. The demounting tool just bent. I had to help it with some screw drivers.

At least it did hold the tire in place to make it easier to demount.

Update on the mini changer. I used it to mount a couple of used 25x11x12 ATV tires on std wheels. It worked very good for mounting. dOdGot them done in no time...the hardest part was that I did not trust these tires to hold air so I have tubes in them...tubes are a pain!

wbatvtires.JPG

I think these half worn ATV tires will make great lug tires for the garden tractors.

wbatvtires.JPG.992a87e55ddf0fe2d868cb876d66ba85.JPG