Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oil Extractor

isetta

Didn't know they made anything like that. I have a pump driven my drill I use to change the oil in my boat. Its only like 20$

This one connects to an air compresser, somehow creates a vacuum in the tank so you can suck the oil out through the dipstick hole in a car. I almost have to take the deck off my Powermax to get the oil drain plug out and that is a pita so am considering using one of these things.

The one I use does the same thing. Tube goes into the dipstick tube and the drill creates the suction. If it's only something you are going to use once or twice a year I would look into what I have. If your interested I can get you more info. It's the same concept just using a drill for power instead of air and you need to provide your own container for the used oil to go into.

They do work well though. I think most boat owners use something like this.

Seems like its easy to get the oil in but hard to get it out. I was it at the store and it looks like a pretty mean machine.

i could use one of those my pressure washer has a briggs engine and there so cheap they dont even put in a drain plug in.

I will report on how well it works. Tough to get at the drain plug in my Simplicity when the deck is on and also have an automatic transmission in the van that is due for fluid change. That alone will pay for the unit if it works well.

Don't change your van trans fluid without doing the filter. You won't gain anything and the filter may be clogged.Removing the pan helps to see condition of trans and much cheaper than later overhaul because of clogged filter..Dave

Speaking of drain plugs. I hate to tell you guys this (it's a little embarrassing), but I have rounded the drain plug off on my AC720. Actually part of it broke off. Am I going to have to drill this thing to get it out now? It's really tight (which is why I broke it trying to get it loose). I dread dealing with it in any shape or form, but I really need to change the oil in it. Anybody got any suggestions? I'd sure appreciate any help or tips any of you can give me on this.

Dave I agree with you on the pan drop / filter change....but believe it or not the Odyssey does not have a pan and the 2007 and later filter is not accessible, it's inbetween the transmission and the engine XX( They have a magnetic drain plug but with the history of tranny problems in the Odyssey many owners opt for frequent fluid changes and the addition of an aftermarket inline filter. I use the wifes Sienna for tractor toting.

quote:Originally posted by B10Dave

Don't change your van trans fluid without doing the filter. You won't gain anything and the filter may be clogged.Removing the pan helps to see condition of trans and much cheaper than later overhaul because of clogged filter..Dave

id="quote">
id="quote">

Chuck, welcome to the club, I believe drilling would be the only solution if you want the plug out. probably suck the oil out first so ya don't get a bath

Chuck, if you were closer to me I'd pull the oil out with this evacuator. It is awesome. Sucked a half gallon of water out of AC620 gearbox from previous owner leaving the tractor outside for months with a bad cover gasket. Anyway you may end up drilling to get that plug out. Good luck with it.

quote:Originally posted by Itsmechuck

Speaking of drain plugs. I hate to tell you guys this (it's a little embarrassing), but I have rounded the drain plug off on my AC720. Actually part of it broke off. Am I going to have to drill this thing to get it out now? It's really tight (which is why I broke it trying to get it loose). I dread dealing with it in any shape or form, but I really need to change the oil in it. Anybody got any suggestions? I'd sure appreciate any help or tips any of you can give me on this.

id="quote">
id="quote">

Thanks guys...and Isetta I wish you were close enough to pull the oil out for me...I really don't want an oil bath. I'm hoping I can drill a hole about half way into the plug and then twist it out with an e-z-out. Will let you know how it goes. I hope I can do it this way to avoid having metal shavings in my oil pan and then having to try to get them all out.

Isetta; I didn't know about the wonderful Japanese engineering on your Odyssey. Helpful eh!

Chuck; if you are drilling from under the tractor with engine in situ chances of shavings getting into the oil pan are slim...Dave

Oil extractors 'pick a brand' work. On my Briggs engines, I simply remove the plug with the engine leaning toward the side, and let them drain. If you cannot get the plug out, I suppose they are good for you. Refill after removal.

I want the entire cavity empty. the extractor will not give this result. Drill, use whatever means necessary to remove the pipe plug and drain to gravity, then refill.

Oil extractors 'pick a brand' work. On my Briggs engines, I simply remove the plug with the engine leaning toward the side, and let them drain. If you cannot get the plug out, I suppose they are good for you. Refill after removal.

I want the entire cavity empty. the extractor will not give this result. Drill, use whatever means necessary to remove the pipe plug and drain to gravity, then refill.

as said before draining will get more gunk out but if you cant drain pumping is better than nothing. i had a friend and this was on a slant 6 dodge remember those he did not change the oil for over 10 years and never had a problem the valve cover was leaking and when we pulled it off it looked like a jello mold underneath dont know why i told the story just thinking about changing oil

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Itsmechuck

id="quote">
id="quote">Don't feel alone Chuck, I just rounded mine off on my 9020 yesterday. Gonna trya pipe wrench after work tonight but expecting to have to drill out the plug and use an easy out. I'd feel better getting all the oil and sludge out of the oil pan. Already ran to the shop here at work and grabbed a couple 3/8 socket head stainless pipe plugs to replace the ones in my tractors.

quote:Originally posted by yukon

i could use one of those my pressure washer has a briggs engine and there so cheap they dont even put in a drain plug in.

id="quote">
id="quote">I have a pressure washer with a Honda engine (not so cheap) and it does not have a drain plug either. The manual suggests to lay the engine on its side. :(!Not easy and makes a mess.

Powermax Paul...a pipe wrench won't help me. The plug broke off in little pieces, and there's nothing left to put a wrench on. Stainless plug would be the way to go. Where did you get them?

Used one like that for years at the transmission shop hook up air hose and walk away you could hear when empty.They work great. Don't know how the harbor freight unit works.