Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

vac build. and Deck adjustments?

hurleyii

Here's the scoop guys.

I have picked up all new belts to power my vacuum and the mower deck along with a new main bearing for the vacuum itself and idler pulleys.

It's my intention to have the blades sharpened and balanced at days end along with the vacuum itself fully reassembled minus the main bearing, my thought is a little yard work first will help vibrate the penetrating oil deeper into the shafts to help slide them off with no damage as I wish to save the original bearing assembly. So vac is off to a good start and will run well.

Deck questions are simple?

I've looked on this forum for deck adjustment and proper leveling this morning with no luck at all.

If you guys could send me a link on how to do this as the deck I purchased is way out of adjustment, at least visually it looks very bad.

P.S. I have a updated belt part numbers from my Allis dealer for the tractor to vacuum belt if anybody needs it. I have yet to actually install it though as that's part of today's job. Also He gave me an owners manual for the vacuum and trailer, if we don't have one on this forum or a link to one I'd love to help get it on here.

Also he gave me a whole case of Simplicity white of an unknown year in rattle cans. Appears to be a bright white.

Thank you all for your help and good hunting this spring for tractor parts!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Ok I decided that I should inspect the deck further since I've never used it since purchase and my original inspection and lube.

I think the idler arm is seized as I'm assuming the eye hook for lift is suppose to be solid and the arm is suppose to swing freely around it.

Currently the entire assembly is seized except idler pulley itself. By looks of nut on bottom of deck the eye hook is not salvageable without extreme heat and that looks unlikely as well.

Suggestions on repair or anybody got an extra lift eye and idler arm they would like to give a good home to? :))

Don't give up on the eye hook. The swivel freezing up is common. With a little penetrating oil the nut on the bottom should come off. Then with some penetrating oil and the correct punch you can separate the swivel bushing from idler pulley bracket and be back in business with some good grease or anti-seize, and a washer on each side of the bushing.

I have never seen the bushing seized to the eye hook, just to the idler pulley bracket.

Well I decided to go ahead and pull the main bearing on the vac housing today, what a job and I destroyed the pulley so I got one from Hardware store. New belt number from simplicity is way to big so 2 trips to Auto Zone and I should have the correct belt on the 3rd run I think.

As for the eye on the deck, my Allis dealer told me the same. I was able to free the one up on the good deck that I wasn't going to use so I think Ill be removing all the spindles from the deck with the loose eye bolt as I think it's stretched the whole out of shape plus the deck is actually cracked. The idler is making some noise but I think fiances on this project are at a max and the idlers on the tractor are also a little loud.

I also noticed my gear box seal is leaking so I assume this means I need to rebuild my BGB.??? :(

Vacuum is running at a whisper with all the new bearings. I Decided to replace the deck idler and I disassembled all the spindles cleaned them up and reassembled them today. I just finished sharpening the blades and balancing them along with fully assembling the deck and mounting it.

It is also a whisper with no shakes. I'm quite proud of my little tractor tonight.

Vacuum is running at a whisper with all the new bearings. I Decided to replace the deck idler and I disassembled all the spindles cleaned them up and reassembled them today. I just finished sharpening the blades and balancing them along with fully assembling the deck and mounting it.

It is also a whisper with no shakes. I'm quite proud of my little tractor tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I used the Simplicity Paint That I was given by my dealer and It's the correct color for my 7112h. (Almond look). Now I googled the part number and I've found more of it for a nice little price! EEK!!!!

Do you guys know the actual paint color of the ornge that goes with the Almond as far as a part number or name of color as I was also able to find a bunch of ornge and even the red's from way back!!!

Ok thank you very much Ray!

I'll have to try the hardware stores and paint shops as the 1977-85 color appears to be not available. Do you have any suggestions? Should I just plan on making my 912h and 7112h the same color? I was trying to be accurate on my restore! Allis paints are listed at paint shop and Ace Hardware but not Simplicity!

The orange on my 7119 is the exact same orange as my AC tractors, which is powder orange (which is the color of ACs from 1974 to at least the late 1980s).

Deep Orange (the color of the 3400 series tractors) is too red.

I have a chart similar to Ray's from Simplicity that shows:

Simplicity Orange (1685589) 1977 - early 1985

Classic Orange (1685589) from 1985 - 6/30/1988

Powder Orange (1685589) from 7/1/1988 - 7/31/1989

Notice the same part# ???

It came from simplicitymfg.com/pa_paint.html

Deep orange was first used in 1989 and has been the same ever since. Way after they made the 3400 series. Powder orange was used for 13 months.

Wow this is turning into a great response.

Maybe some of this should be put in the paint section in tips and how to's!