Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
sdhdcouple

BGB questions

sdhdcouple

I had this 712S BGB lock up on me this winter, the only way to turn it was with a large pry bar. during the operation of removing the BGB and splitting the tractor, the BGB work loose a bit. enough I had to put opposite pressure on the thing to get the PTO and drive pulley off. I finally got this thing out of the tractor today and expected it to be dry, no oil. When laying input shaft down / cover up and removing the cover, the thing was about half full of oil. so I didn't run it dry. turning the shaft, turns easy but not smooth. more ridged than smooth. but the ring and pinion don't look bad no abnormal wear, no grooves in the teeth. Now I don't know how much of a point on these teeth there was from new, so don't know how much they are evenly worn.

so I guess my question here is, the only thing I found that could be remotely wrong is the bearing on the input (drive shaft) side. So could that bearing being bad cause the input shaft to raise enough to lock the ring and pinion gear on top of each other cause it to act like it seized? there was no play in the pto / drive pulley shaft, it was tight. these single bearing is the only sign of a trouble spot.

anyone have a thought on this.

GLPointon

The shafts should turn easy and have no real play if the bearings are good. The input shaft is the most common to wobble as the bearings wear. Make sure the drive shaft @ vibration damper at the engine output are good too.

Here is a post for a BGB rebuild I did a few yrs ago...Good lucksm01

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=122830