Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Twin question

GLPointon

Do the Kohler twin cylinders (17, 18, 20 and 25hp) use the same outer case? And if not, are they all interchangeable mounting? (the same bolt patterns, etc)

for example can a 7117 engine go into a DA1918/Sunstar or vise-versa?

Thanks for any advise sm01

The KT17, KT19, M18, M20 are interchangeable installation. Many of the engine parts are interchangeable also.

The block or case is different between the KT engines and the Magnum engines. The Magnums are electronic ignition and do not have the opening in the case for installing the points. Also the casted in mounts for the electronic ignition vs. the coil is different.

Otherwise heads, cylinders, intake, exhaust is interchangeable.

So many things are interchangeable between a KT17 and M18, as is between the KT19 and M20. And many things are same across all 4.

I don't know what 25hp engine you are referencing but whatever it is, it is totally different.

Thanks Guys...Now I gotta find out if these are Magnums or KT's I'm looking at buying.

Dont know about the "25hp"? thats what the seller said it was??? maybe not?

I'm mainly wanting one of them to put in a Sunstar/DA1918...Thanks for the help sm01

KT's will have an externally mounted coil, fastened to the intake manifold. It is a two wire coil that looks similar to a car coil, like a small can. The Magnums do not, the "coil" is located under the flywheel and the plug wires come out from under the flywheel shroud. That's the quickest way to tell the difference. Also, almost all of the Magnums that I am aware of, came with an oil filter, most of the KT's did not.

As for the 25 horse? They made a K582 (23 horse) and a K662 (24 horse) that look similar, but are older variations and completely different from the KT's. They did make a KT21 that is the same as the KT's and Magnums, (the same as a KT19 actually with a bigger bore) but those seem fairly rare. The engine model code on a KT21 will start with a 32XXXX KT's were manufactured from 1978-1984, Magnums from 1985-1995.

Thank you Brett!! That is exactly the info I needed to make a choice on this purchase.

I would think the Magnums are much better with a pressure lube vs. splash oiler on the KT's..?

Late model KT's (Series II) had the same lube system as the Magnums. The early versions had a pressurized system that provided a spray mist on the rod journals and pressurized main bearings @ approximately 5 PSI. The Series II had full pressurized journals at both the mains and the rods @ approximately 25+ PSI. So they both had oil pumps and a pressurized system, but the oiling system in the Series II was far superior and carried on to the Magnum Series. I believe some of the later KT's had the filter setup too.

I like the Magnums given the choice because: They are newer, so most likely have much less use overall. They are electronic ignition vs. points, less issues and headaches. They have an oil filter setup.

Just my thoughts, and I like them both, but would give much more serious thought to the Magnum Series.

quote:Originally posted by Ronald Hribar

Brett has a very good motor for sale tooHe does very good work

id="quote">
id="quote">I second this. If anyone is looking for a "keeper" his motor for sale is a rare find.

I have a KT17 with the oil filter capability. Just last week I picked up a M18 in pieces to get the oil filter adaptor off from it.

Looking over the M18 I may just rebuild it. It has a complete block with pistons and flywheel, and I see an ignition module in the box. I have a couple of KT17s to use for rest of the parts if needed.

I like the boxer twins, and have 4 running engines. One in a pulling tractor that won a lot of pulls.