Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

15 h.p. Briggs twin starts and dies

simplewrench

Well awhile back I bought back a 5008 and the guy threw in a craftsman 4 wheel steer tractor. Had to replace the coil but it ran good. Now it starts and runs for awhile but then dies had the air cleaner off checking over the fuel system and noticed that when it dies it sputters fuel out of the carb. So it's not starving for fuel which is what I assumed. So I'm scratching my head. I haven't worked on many of these twins so if there is some a

Querck I am missing HELP. Thanks.

In the old days, your problem was a waterlogged(fuel of fuel) float. These new carbs are somewhat different, but I would check to see if the float has a hole, or in some other way filled with gas. We used to be able to shake the float and hear fuel inside sloshing. Change the float and let us know what happens after. Again, old folks usually repaired, but nowadays, you replace

Ok guys thanks for the responses. Sorry it took so long for me to get back this. I had a long day of tractor fun planned Saturday but my back went out putting my socks on ( I hate that). So anyway today I took the top off the cArb and the gas was pretty murcky so I clean it out sprayed it down with carb cleaner put back together twice it seems to be better but dies when I try to engage the deck. This tractor has a fuel pump do they either work or not or can they become weak? It seems to be getting good fuel flow and the bowl wasn't dry when I took the carb apart. Hmm

That is a diaphragm pump and the gaskets get stiff over time. The repair kit, I think, has only two gaskets and should get you out of the woods.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I didn't get around to ordering a fuel pump kit. But after setting a few days with a strong dose of good old seafoam setting in the carb it seems to have straightened out so it must have just been gummy build up. That for the input you guys are always helpful.