Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Novice Question - Mower Deck Fitment

NHJim

Hi all,

Here's my first post, so please bear with me if I've violated any etiquette in posting to the wrong forum, etc.

I have a beloved family heirloom Allis 912H, I'm the third generation using it after an engine rebuild. I've got an original 42" mower deck, works beautifully, but I think it'll need some love soon (bearings, etc). Because of this I'm looking for a spare mower deck.

I hit Craigslist this morning and a seller says he's got a mower deck that "should fit, I had it on a Simplicity 2110, 64 Landlord, and an Allis Chalmers B110."

I checked the "what fits" guide and I'm aware of the specific compatibility, namely the Simplicity 7xxx series and the 34xx series.

Can I get away with using the deck he wants to sell, or is it a risky endeavor such that I might have to fuss around with different belts, etc?

I really appreciate it. I've been lurking on these forums for a long time but never posted.

Take care,

Jim

I would pass on it. The deck height adjusters will hit the running boards and the center top pulley is smaller than yours. Welcome to the club.

Welcome to the club! There are usually many of these that show up on craig's , etc. And 48" decks will work just fine too. All of the decks for these tractors should be left hand discharge, so anything you are looking at that is right hand is not correct for your tractor.

Keeping your eyes open for the blown engine tractor package will also get you a deck sometimes, and sometimes at a price that guys are asking for the deck alone. Then you have a parts tractor or one to restore. And then you have two tractors. And then you find another one and you end up with three..........

And pretty soon, you're a full fledged nutcase like the rest of us here.......8D

Thanks Brett,

I was actually looking at the "blown engine" package over the winter and was about to pull the trigger, but in the end the seller didn't want to sell it too badly. (Why list it, then, I wonder?!) The wife was even okay with the purchase of an additional tractor, albeit reluctantly.

Any advice besides avoiding the right hand discharge? Should I stick to the strict comparability list, or is there some flexibility in which mowers will fit? This is why I asked here, because it's the kind of thing only you folks would know. Will anything fit besides the 7000 series or 34xx series?

Thanks again,

Jim

Welcome!:J

If the price seems reasonable, or even cheap, I might buy it as trading stock, for the one I need.

Your tractor has running boards, hence we call it a RBT (running board tractor).FDT (foot dragger tractor) doesn't have running boards, they have foot rest's. You need one from an RBT, AC 700-900 series, Simplicity 3400 series, and up.

Clear as mud, right?sm00

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

Well, it is about as clear as mud to the novice! (Aside from the very handy cross reference guide)

The RBT bit clears up a lot of the confusion.

I guess what do you mean by "3400 series, and up?" (What's the "and up?") sm03

Welcome Jim, forum rules, new guys buy the first round! Lol. Really, there are some great guys on this site that are always happy to help!

3400 and up...... 3400, 7000, 7100 or 1973 and newer. Allis 700, 900 series. One helper: If the driven pulley in the center of the deck has three bolts holding it in place, it is likely an older deck. The ones with the single bolt in the center should all work fine. Actually, they will all "work", but like Ray mentioned, there are a few issues, albeit minor.

Ah okay, Kenny, I think I understand what you meant.

No, the 3300 doesn't fit, according to the guide.

Long story short, it sounds like I should stick to the "what fits" guide, and there aren't any easy exceptions without some engineering.

Alas, I'm from Fort Wayne originally, but those are distant childhood memories. It'd be quite a drive, now! I appreciate the offer, though.

Good luck with your search and welcome.

I purchased my 912h 2 springs ago and last fall I officially became addicted to old tractors and now I have a small fleet.

912h electric lift, JD 160 lawn mower, and 7112h manual lift.

Each have there own job to do and I keep buying attachments at a bargain price that need restoration or repair. I find I pay almost what the attachment would of cost without repair but I have all new bearings or what not!

Welcome Jim to the addiction, lol.

I don't know about the guide, but my father had a simplicity 3310 S with a 42" deck. About 15 years ago he sold it and got a Allis 917 but kept his 36" snow blower and the 42" deck, and still runs them on the 917 to this day. So I don't understand why they shouldn't fit.

Jim,

Many of the old decks you find will need rebuilt also. It might be best to just rebuild yours if the housing is in decent shape.

Tom

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the info! Hey, I never claimed to know what I'm talking about, which is why I'm here. If a 3310 fits, then great, because that'll widen my search. Most of the decks I see for sale are mystery decks, though, with unknown origins, so at least now I know what to look for.

Hi Tom,

Yep, I agree - in fact, I plan on rebuilding my existing deck, but I thought it'd be nice to have a backup plan in case I get into trouble and it takes longer than I anticipated. (Being a novice, but reasonably handy fixing basic stuff on cars, etc) The other reason I'd like a spare deck is that this 912H is my only lawnmower besides a push mower (with a large, rural yard), and it seems like things go wrong with equipment at the worst possible time. I thought it'd be awfully nice to switch out the deck when something needs attention, and keep on going. Truthfully, my original mower deck has seen a few welded patches and is starting to show its age, but it's still going.

Thank you all.

Jim

So I met Jim today-sold him a deck, I'll let him chime in for the particulars. Really nice guy, showed him my seven tractor collection.

It also gave me an excuse to get them all out and running, now that our snow is almost gone.

Yep, nice to meet you Appalachian! Quite the collection you have.

It stands to reason that if someone responds to a Craigslist want ad about a Simplicity mower deck, chances are good they're on here. sm01

One of these days I'll post some pictures of my 912H. According to Appalachian's rough assessment based on my verbal description, it's probably in better than average shape. (Likely nowhere near as clean as restored units belonging to some of you, though!) It's lived in a barn all its life and has almost no rust.

My next project will probably be to find a replacement for the original muffler. Appalachian's 7114 is a lot quieter than mine.

Anyway, great to be a part of the community.

Take care,

Jim

Here's a photo of the "new" deck. Really nice shape, very clean. Looking forward to trying it out when the grass starts growing again. At least the snow has almost melted.

IMG_0303_tn.jpg?raw=1

Full Photo is Here

EDIT:

:(!:(!UGH.XX(XX(

I tried to embed a DropBox image, and DropBox didn't let me. (or at least I fought with it for a good half hour) The full size photo link should work.