Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine ID

bowhunt4life

I have a motor I believe is a 16hp Briggs.

326431 0127-01 730227L

Can anyone help ID this motor?

Thanks,

Chris

The 326431: the 32=32 cu. in. engine; 6=16hp; 4=horizontal crankshaft with flo-jet carb; 3=flange mount bearing; 1=rope starter (for S/G belt).

0127-01 is a specific Briggs code for color, decals, certain mechanical parts.

730227L: 73=1973; 02=Feb; 27= 27th day L (I think may be a 1) is the assembly line number.

quote:The 326431: the 32=32 cu. in. engine; 6=16hp; 4=horizontal crankshaft with flo-jet carb; 3=flange mount bearing; 1=rope starter (for S/G belt).

0127-01 is a specific Briggs code for color, decals, certain mechanical parts.

730227L: 73=1973; 02=Feb; 27= 27th day L (I think may be a 1) is the assembly line number.

id="quote">
id="quote">

Yeah, yeah, yeah smart aleck. But what color was it? :D

Bob, here is my deductive guess on "black".

The Type also designates OEM for the engine.

All of the original B&S engines that I have seen that came out of a Simplicity or AC have been "Type 01XX-01". So my guess is that -01 was Simplicity's OEM number, and 1973 Simplicity engines were all black. ?

quote:Originally posted by MikeES

Bob, here is my deductive guess on "black". The Type also designates OEM for the engine.All of the original B&S engines that I have seen that came out of a Simplicity or AC have been "Type 01XX-01". So my guess is that -01 was Simplicity's OEM number, and 1973 Simplicity engines were all black. ?

id="quote">
id="quote">dOd;) You were right on a spec engine for Simplicity but the customer name got lost in the four digit spec number and the last number were a variation such as an RPM setting. I had a full book of those but tossed it out years ago.