Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Magnum flywheel

Brettw

Well, I sold the M18 and took an M18 that "made a bunch of noise" in trade. The PO shut it down as soon as it didn't sound right. I took it in trade figuring, well, likely a bad rod, or governor or whatever. As it turns out it looks like the flywheel came loose. Key is junk. Magnets are screwed up. Stator appears to be OK, but I will have to look much closer. Ignition coil/ module looks OK. So this type of issue is new to me. Do I / can I repair the magnets, or, do I look for a new flywheel assembly?

magnets have to have correct orientation

Is keyway okay?

may affect timing

I would go to used flywheel

I believe there is a pattern of N S N ....type. Check posts by Al Eden. Maybe the Magnum manual up on Kohlers site?

Doesn't much matter, I am getting a new flywheel. All the magnets were loose, a few were broken. I did however, clean up the flywheel, less magnets, and after a complete cleaning of the engine,put everything together to at least test run to see if I even wanted to invest in a flywheel. Purrs like a kitten and not a bit of smoke.8D