Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

snowblower scraper

Kenh

I decided to get a headstart on my snowblower repair. It needs a new scraper bar, guide shoes. The shoes aren't a problem but I believe the scrapers are no longer available. What are some of you doing to repair or rebuild. I was thinking of just welding on a new edge about an inch wide or so.

I also need to tighten up the fit of the chute to the blower. What could be used to help get a "less sloppy" fit

Thanks!

Ken

In the event, that the parts go NLA, or the dealer is stubborn, as so many have become lately, Zippo has suggested a visit to the Local DOT yard. they often have suitable scrap pile of edges from their plows, that can be "retroed" to fit. My two pennies. LOL

W

If you do haggle a suitable hunk of old blade from them, save the cutoffs, as they are ideal hardened steel that can be used to patch the shoes. Old bedrails are also an excellent source of "armor" like material, as was pointed out by the Late JimDK, That steel comes from re-rolled railroad track. A very hard nickle-carbon mix. Raw steel today comes from the "gray" sources. Just like LEAD there are no production plants in the "homelnd" any longer.

No real need to get fancy. The fellow I bought my sovereign from was in the knife business and gave me a piece of 1/8" x 2" rolled steel to replace the edge. He said he drilled holes where needed to attach the edge. This would have been the second replacement in about 20 years.

It seems the shoes go quicker.

Yes, you would think a 1/8-3/16" x 1-1/2 -2" would work just fine. With a new set of shoes and set up properly, I can't imagine that it would need to be replaced but ever so often. Should give years of service. Of course that depends upon the use. If you're doing an airport, it might just wear out a bit quicker.:o)

The "standard" steel stock that you pick up at the hardware / farm supply

store should work well for the scraper edge on a blower.

It does not work so well on a plow ... the soft steel edge I made was severely

worn in just a single season of use!

Tom

Scraper bars are easy enough to duplicate and get to a fab house that it shouldn't be a problem, even if it needs a bend. I have an old two sno-flite 2-stage that I finally had to replace the scrapper on this winter. Drew up a quick pencil sketch, and had a sheetmetal shop bend one up...no time at all. There is like two shears, and a bend. I drilled the holes.

After taking a good look at the old scraper I think I'll weld on a new piece to the old blade. It is slightly "V" shaped as it was slightly bent. Grind the "V" strait, weld on a new edge and away we go. The blower housing needs a little attention but nothing serious. New feet will be the best way to go as the old ones look to be repaired "several" times.

I read someplace some are adding a rubber flap on the auger to close the gag between the auger and housing. If this is in fact true will any good rubber work like conveyer belting? Does this really work??

Busenbark is pretty proud of the scraper! Funny the 36" is much higher priced than the 42".

Ken

I don't know about Busenbark's, I have no affiliation with them. They are just a local Snapper & Simplicity dealer that I sometimes frequent and buy parts from. I was just responding to the post with a link showing that OEM scraper bars are still available for purchase if that was what you were shooting for. Some people like OEM stuff and some people fabricate for vaious reasons (like it's cheaper if you have the stuff and skills to do so). Anyhow, I purchased mine this past winter because mine was bent in the middle as well as it was not level to the surface and was also nastily boogered up . . . doing some damage to the drive and I needed it ASAP with no time to think about fabricating anything given the wave of snow storms we had. I also wondered about the economics behind why less steel (the 36 inch scraper bar) is more expensive than more steel (the 42 inch scraper bar). I just assumed it was a supply based pricing based on inventory levels(more 42 inch bars are made and are in stock/available), but who knows.

I have a 36" scraper bar, rusty but appears little wear. PM me with you E-mail address and I'll send you a couple of pics if you're interested.