Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oil Leak

Simplicity7013H

Well, I was driving the 3112 around tonight and parked it in front of my barn. When I went to go put it away, I noticed a BIG puddle of oil underneath the tractor. I investigated to see where it was coming from and could only find out that it was dripping from the ends of all the bolts under the engine on the tractor. In fear of locking the motor, I pushed it in only to discover that the oil wasn't at the top of the fill plug but down to where the was a bit of clearance between oil and the top of the pan. What do you guys think it might be?? Just hoping for a heads up on what I'm tearing into.

These motors are notorious for leaking around the base of the oil filler tube. Make sure the rubber seal is screwed all the way into the oil pan where the tube enters the engine.

Also may want to check the top portion of the drive pulley for oil pooling. Oil can buildup on top of the pulley if you have a bad shaft seal leak and gets spun all over the portion under the tractor when you start it.

I have a hunch that's its the oil filler tube. The majority of the oil is in that general vicinity. But, if its the shaft seal like you say, I will be getting out the torch and gear puller to get my front pulley off.

Check tightness of the your pan bolts. They can become lose and all of a sudden it is loose enough for the oil to get by the gasket.

I have not seen the PTO shaft leak any significant oil (puddles) on the Horizontal shaft engines other than the KT/M twins when they blow the seal completely out.

Oil level should be at the top of the hole in the pan, somewhat below the threads of the oil cap. I would clean the entire engine and frame and run the engine, with the oil topped off of course, and observe just what is leaking oil. Do you have a hydro-lift or a manual lift? I just ran into an oil leak issue on a 3212, nothing I'd ever run into before, turns out some po had replaced the breather gasket with some silicone sealer that did not work well sealing the cover but did manage to block the breather drain back holes!

There isn't much to leak above the oil pan, and unless the breather is plugged up the crank seals tend to last a long time from what I've seen.

Thanks for all the feed back guys!! Just got back from a GT junkyard with a $50 electric lift :D:D:D. Will be pulling the engine in the next hour or so. Will let you guys know.

Thanks, Elliott

quote:Originally posted by Simplicity7013H

Sorry, been looking for one of these for a longtime.

id="quote">
id="quote">:D had to try :D

GRRR!!8C I can't figure out where the leak is coming from. Pan bolts are tight, oil fill/drain is tight. I can't find any oil by the PTO. Yet, it still leaks oil. I have some pictures but the. Need to be resized. Will let you guys know.

Thanks, Elliott

quote:Originally posted by Simplicity7013H

GRRR!!8C I can't figure out where the leak is coming from. Pan bolts are tight, oil fill/drain is tight. I can't find any oil by the PTO. Yet, it still leaks oil. I have some pictures but the. Need to be resized. Will let you guys know. Thanks, Elliott

id="quote">
id="quote">Is the pan itself dry?

quote:Originally posted by ReedS

Oil level should be at the top of the hole in the pan, somewhat below the threads of the oil cap. I would clean the entire engine and frame and run the engine, with the oil topped off of course, and observe just what is leaking oil. Do you have a hydro-lift or a manual lift? I just ran into an oil leak issue on a 3212, nothing I'd ever run into before, turns out some po had replaced the breather gasket with some silicone sealer that did not work well sealing the cover but did manage to block the breather drain back holes! There isn't much to leak above the oil pan, and unless the breather is plugged up the crank seals tend to last a long time from what I've seen.

id="quote">
id="quote">The breather was plugged. Thanks for all the help guys. Will get you guys pictures of the fleet soon. Thanks sooo much!! -Elliott