Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
DDP021

After Market Muffler

DDP021

Does anyone know if there's anyone else out there making replacement mufflers for the sovereign series tractor that had the Kohler 18 OHV engine? The simplicity part number on OEM muffler is 1686656SM...It lists at over 200 dollars...A ridiculous amount for a garden tractor muffler as far as I can see..Just was curious if anyone else found a replacement muffler for this OEM.

Thanks,

Dave

BLT

My guess is that is a custom design by Simplicity made by Nelson Corp and Simplicity owns the tooling rights. This is not an item that is made in a volume of 18-20,000 a day like certain Midas units.

I would be highly surprised if Simplicity buys more the 50 units for parts replacement at a time and that alone raises the price quite a bit. And when you get that item into distribution, a couple more steps in price are taken before it gets to the dealer. It seem ridiculous, but that is what it is. I'll bet you couldn't go to a sheet metal shop and have it built for that. I'm not defending it, that's just the way it is.

DDP021

Understood..All about supply and demand..And no company wants to have excess inventory they paid for just to have it sitting collecting dust...Just was poking around to see if anyone else had any other options..thanks for the response!!!

Burntime

Its one of those things. If you need it they have it. Look for a used one, I see them go for about 125, cheap would be 100 plus shipping. They actually came down, when I needed on I searched high and low and Jacks small engine was the cheapest at 229. Add shipping and handling and you were over 250.

maxwood

Hello, A couple years ago I repowered my sovereign with a briggs vanguard and I needed a muffler so I built one

muffler1.jpg

muffler2.jpg

muffler5.jpg

This design could be adapted to almost any engine. I started out with a piece of 4 inch muffler pipe that I bought at napa.I could not find my build thread , that had more details.total cost was about $40 plus my time.Thanks Ken in Mi

muffler1.jpg.1b7a3b855e815606fe88ea965f068a78.jpg

muffler2.jpg.718c141ac603f4b5ea3e9320d076adb4.jpg

muffler5.jpg.73e03cfd3c44fe5876ad8fadfff0b3c0.jpg

Burntime

But how many hours do you have in it? If its a "I wanna do it!" thing then yes, victory laps and arm pumps! If your looking at it from a time vs cost stand point, then I'd by used. Cool project though!

Ronald Hribar

John Deere has a genetic kit

The muffler does not have pipes welded in

You fit muffler to your application and weld it together

Your best option is to buy used for a reasonable price

maxwood

Hello, No offense taken. I am retired and have plenty of time .You never know about other members talents (skills), there is allot of members who can do amazing things! I have always been willing to try something to save some bucks or create something I need.

Thanks Ken in MI

gwiseman
quote:Originally posted by maxwood

Hello, A couple years ago I repowered my sovereign with a briggs vanguard and I needed a muffler so I built oneThis design could be adapted to almost any engine. I started out with a piece of 4 inch muffler pipe that I bought at napa.I could not find my build thread , that had more details.total cost was about $40 plus my time.Thanks Ken in Mi

id="quote">
id="quote">http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=121366&SearchTerms=vanguard