Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Carb cleaning with Pine Sol

isetta

Well I didn't believe it before but now have seen it myself. Had to clean dried up gas from a Briggs 16hp opposed twin carb that sat for years. Here's what happened when I soaked it overnight in a mix of PineSol and water. Container wasn't big enough to totally cover the whole thing and I though nothing was going to happen anyway but wow was I surprised.

pinesolcleaner.jpg

pinesolcleaner.jpg.988a3b95dd3b017d7f67008a0014ec90.jpg

On a related note, after I started using my ultrasonic cleaner and experimenting with various cleaning solutions in it, one product totally stood out: Birchwood Casey Case Cleaner. Floats, crusty aluminum carb bodies, jets, everything comes out near spotless.

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Cleaning-and-Maintenance/Cleaning-Maintenance/Brass-Cartridge-Case-Cleaner.aspx

Tom(PK)

Hey isetts,

Thanks for posting this tip.

I have several newer machines with carbs and tanks gummed up with varnish, and was ready to start buying new parts but will try this out first.

WoW that is great alternative to cleaning carb parts.Would rather have my hands in pine sol instead of carb cleaner.Thank u for the tip

The pine sol is easier on the ping pong table too : ) Works best with hot water. After cleaning the old dude out found the float to be cracked so another first, soldered it, fixed it!

The motorcycle guys have been doing this for quite awhile. And most who try it are pleased, it has been reported that Pine Sol will remove paint and affect cadmium and even chrome plating. Lots of reading here:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560117

quote:Originally posted by arnoldir

Hey isetts, Thanks for posting this tip.I have several newer machines with carbs and tanks gummed up with varnish, and was ready to start buying new parts but will try this out first.

id="quote">
id="quote">

I use conventional antifreeze full strength in a crock pot to clean the gunk off my RC engines. The baked on castor oil gets soft and most of it dissolves. What doesn't dissolve is brushed away.

Pine Sol.... No way it could work.... Well I could be wrong about that:D

Ken

I used to use Pine Sol in my Parts washer at full strength to rebuild brake calipers. works great as it forces the grease down to the bottom and the top liquid stays pretty clean.

I'm sure glad rebuilt calipers have gotten cheaper. I did not enjoy that job.sm00

Big fan of the Pine Sol soak, just one caveat:it must be real Pine Sol. The dollar store brand is not the same. (For those of you like me who don't read long threads before acting!)