Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Legacy stripes?

goodtimo

Does the legacy 60-inch deck provide the same stripes that the 48s and 42s do on the smaller tractors?

Mine doesn't have full rollers across the back like the smaller decks do, it has some spacers in it in some locations. Anyone have any picks of their legacy mowing jobs?

It does, but Im told the 60 inch does not cut as well as the 48. No personal experience but I know the old sunstar 60 inch decks had one blade that moved alternate to the others, they corrected that and it was better. No idea why, the 54 inch on my old landlord dlx did great, just a complaint I have heard before.

Yes, the 60" stripes in the same way and all of mine have had full rollers. I think the 60" stripes best of all of them....its the heaviest!

Now how it CUTS is a bit different story. It does not seem to cut as well as a 48 (IMO, a 42 cuts even better than a 48....and a 36 or 32 better than a 42). The smaller decks are the same depth but cram 3 blades in there too, and follow the contour of the turf better. Wider decks just cant. But, the 60" is an exceptional mower, and if you have a flat lawn, you may not notice the difference.

The 60" does lack in mulching and vacing...because of that counterrotating blade.

thanks for the replies. I was concerned because that's one of the things I liked the best about the decks on my smaller equipment. I tried to buy a set of gator blades for the 60 to mulch with, but they don't make them because of the counter-rotating last blade. My dad has a sunstar without the counter-rotating outer blade...I assume it's an earlier one. I'm not sure I understand the reason for the switch.

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

Yes, the 60" stripes in the same way and all of mine have had full rollers. I think the 60" stripes best of all of them....its the heaviest!Now how it CUTS is a bit different story. It does not seem to cut as well as a 48 (IMO, a 42 cuts even better than a 48....and a 36 or 32 better than a 42). The smaller decks are the same depth but cram 3 blades in there too, and follow the contour of the turf better. Wider decks just cant. But, the 60" is an exceptional mower, and if you have a flat lawn, you may not notice the difference.The 60" does lack in mulching and vacing...because of that counterrotating blade.

id="quote">
id="quote">

Don't get me wrong...I used a turbo on my first 60" with a wide body cart, and it left nothin behind when mowing. Leaves are obviously more work for the machine, and I prefer more HP and less cutting width for that task. I heard there is a conversion kit for changing out the counter-rotating blade, maybe as part of the mulch kit...?

I'm not sure I'd both with the expense, unless I was mowing commercially. I'm being real specific in hopes of giving you the info you need, but by no means want to spook you away from a 60. They are great, and anyone used to the best cut in the industry, will be happy with using one.

Don't quote me but, I think I heard or read there are no more gator blades for our left hand discharge decks.

Can somebody here verify that?

Ken

They did NLA gators for the 48", but 42" were available last time I shopped. They were never offered for the 60".

I was able to mow the other day for the first time. It worked just fine but the height of the grass wasn't enough to get a good impression of striping.

One thing I did notice was those front gauge wheels location...that thing has to take quite a dip before they contact the ground. I suppose they are most likely set at the highest they can possibly be before it scalps.

Also, the blades must spin pretty fast, compared to what I'm used to, because when you kick in the electric PTO, that thing really whirs.

The front wheels are not gauge wheel like some other mfg's use on their decks. They are used for deck removal, and rotate so that they can run parallel to the tractor for mowing, in case they contact uneven ground. They have no adjustment as a gauge wheel would, and cannot "lift" the deck if they contact the ground, because the front deck height is directly tied to the tractors front axle.

My dad has a DA Ultima with wheels on the front of its 60 inch deck, but they are fixed and do not rotate and meant to stop scalping in extreme situations. His look like these on this deck from a sunstar.

wheels.jpg

I just assumed the Legacy's were for dual duty since the look the same except they rotate too.

wheels.jpg.032af7313bd8921ddbd8c21c1f56c167.jpg