Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
rocky53

What's this off of?

rocky53

Hi guys, Bought a Big Ten last summer, at least that's what the guy said it was, It might be a B10,anyway the guy I bought it from bought it from a guy took it home and didn't do anything to it. I got it running and mowed with it,it would vibrate once in a while,then at the end of summer it started vibrating real bad,checked it out it was needle bearing in the BGB was shot and the input shaft was wore bad where the bearing was,I got a used shaft and new bearing and seals put it back together ran it for 5 minutes and it started vibrating like it had the shot bearing in it so tore it apart again the bearing had slid back on the shaft.WTH! I got to looking at the parts diagrams in the service manual and the drive shaft on this thing is different than what shows in the book. I don't know if this is the wrong drive shaft or what it came off of. Thanks for any help. Well I can't put up pics... I'll try to describe it. BGB end of shaft is same as in the book with rubber spacer other end that bolts to engine has the flange then a u-joint.

Chris727

A u-joint would not be OEM. Sounds like someone has cobbled it up. I'm not sure its a direct cause of your bearing coming out of place. That sounds more like the gearbox housing is worn.

rocky53

Chris 727,If somebody did cobble up this drive shaft they sure made it look like a factory job,wish I could put up a picture. And yea there is some play between shaft and gearbox but if that needle bearing was "seated" in the gearbox it wouldn't slid back even with some play in it. I'm gonna try a little trick to hopefully keep that bearing from sliding back. If that don't work, know where I can find a good BGB? Osenga- That plate is for the roller bearing not the needle bearing,Thanks anyway guys.

rokon2813

I've got 3 or 4 empty boxes on the shelf. I just checked 2 of them and the old used bearings are still tight enough to need a hammer to remove and install.

If your needle bearing is moving, either your box is worn like Chris says, or you have an undersized bearing.

rocky53

rokon2813,If you have a good BGB I might be interested, I also got the correct drive shaft from a guy but it does'nt have the washers or spacers,how many washers does it take for both ends of the driveshaft. It has the flex discs but one has a small chunk out of it on the outer edge. and I don't know if a guy can get new ones.Or where. Thanks for your help.

rokon2813

I would not have anything complete, only empty housings at the moment.

I think there are 16 washers, and yes, the flex disks are still available. Any Simplicity dealer should be able to order or stock new, used can be found on ebay, and from some members. For used stuff, try an add in the club classifieds.