Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16 hp Briggs flooding

Noly

1972 Homelite T16S has basically new carb. Bottom half bought last fall, top half this spring. Engine turns over about 6times with no choke and gas will drip out bottom of carb. Jets are both 1 1/2 turns out, engine tries to run and then won't. I am out of ideas has a new plastic float .

The float may be new and good, but it has to be set properly too. If set too high or the needle valve isn't good, that could be the issue.

You will see a small metal tab that the needle valve sets on to. There should also be a very fine wire that clips around the valve and that tab. What you want is for the bowl, when in a horizontal position (or just a bit past horizontal) as it would be sitting when full, to push up on the needle valve and close the flow. If adjusted too low or high that can certainly affect the carb. Either way, you also need to make sure the needle valve is functioning. That is why many will leak / drip, even with a correctly adjusted and functional float. The float may be pushing on the needle valve, but it doesn't properly seal.

I usually check these by trying to blow into the fuel inlet (done properly with a spare piece of hose it doesn't taste half bad :o)) while gently closing the valve with the float. I do the same to get a feel for how the float is adjusted.

I tip the carb so the float hangs from the pivot. Slowly tip the carb so the float just touches the needle. I don't remember if these needles have the small spring loaded tip (opposite the sealing tip) or not. This gives the most accurate measurement of float height as the needle is not supporting the full weight of the float.

This has served me well in the past. You milage may vary:)

Ken

Thanks for all the help. This float is ALL PLASTIC no metal tab. As I understand when top is upside down float should be level, this one is at about 15 degrees. New brass one is on order. According to the description when I bought this plastic one it was supposed to be an exact replacement. But cannot get it to set level.