Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
cncman08

Hard starting allis 720

cncman08

I am having trouble starting my 720. I have an electric fuel pump on it and that worked great for the first couple years after that conversion. Now the last few months I have to put a little gas in one of the plug holes to get it started for the day. Once I get it going for the day it starts fine until the next day. I checked to make sure all the hose clamps on the fuel line were tight. That didn't help. I thouht maybe i was getting air in the fuel system due to lose clamps. I pulled the return line and turned the the pump on it seems to be flowing plenty of fuel. I replaced the fuel pump. I am trying to get every thing ready for mowing and don't want to deal with giving a little squirt of gas every day. I also took the carb apart and think I need a new jet. The jet was always was hard to adjust and I believe I found the cause. The threads for the needle were tapped crooked. I am hoping you guys have some ideas !

720nut

Chris mine starts hard sometimes usally just change plugs. I would replace the valve,maybe trash in carb ? Mine refused to start in Ohio past weekend but Sunday morning started after filling filter with trash, gonna clean fuel system. just a thought

cncman08

My filter looks good. I have clear one so I can see what is in it. The inside of the tank is also clean. I do not believe this is a problem with the plugs as after I put a squirt of gas in the plug holes it fires right up and runs fine. Thanks for the suggestions.

cncman08

Is it possible there is a small leak in carb to manifold gasket or manifold gasket to engine ? Would that cause low vacuum and hard starting. Is there only one bolt that holds the manifold down on each side? I also noticed my fuel pump is noisy. It makes the noise of when you run of gas all the time. I don't remember it doing that when I first put an electric fuel pump on. That is why I replaced the pump. The new pump makes the same sound as the old one did.

cncman08

That is a good idea about the choke. I will look at that this evening. Any idea where to find a jet? My local simplicity dealer want $75. For that price I am thinking about switching to the zenith 13793.

cncman08

That is a good idea about the choke. I will look at that this evening. Any idea where to find a jet? My local simplicity dealer want $75. For that price I am thinking about switching to the zenith 13793.

cncman08

Paul I did check the float it was right set at about 3/16" may a little less. The needle and seat looked clean and the rubber tip looked. I was thinking maybe a sticky float or needle though.

cncman08

Over the weekend I did some tinkering on the 720. I found that the choke did not close all the way when hooked up to the cable. I removed the clip that holds the cable and pushed it to full choke and it has worked every time. Thank for the ideas. I also mowed for the first time with this machine. What a great mower. I wish I would have been using this for mowing since I brought it home.