Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BRAND NEW CAST IRON ENGINES!!!

1978Simplicity7016H

I was looking around on the Briggs and Stratton website, and I couldn't bellieve my eyes. I guess they are only made in Asia where they don't have to pass strict standards. Anyone have a guess how we could get some from Southeast Asia back here to the United States? It's possible to ship, but do you think the government would step in and say they aren't allowed to be sold here? It's like going back in time and seeing these motors being sold brand new. It's pretty funny seeing the 18HP being sold WITHOUT a muffler or an air cleaner. I would LOVE to get one of these!

I still can't believe they are still making these!:D

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/sea/en/engines/cast-iron-engines

I re-powered one of my 7016s a few years ago with a twin cylinder Briggs. It would have been nice to maybe use one of these, something closer to the original equipment.I am guessing they are probably half the price of the Vanguard I used.

In August 2003 I picked up one of the Chinese manufactured 16HP "326431" engines from Small Engine Warehouse. The box was labeled "FOR EXPORT ONLY Not For Sale in USA", but somehow it got here (via Central America I believe). It was complete with gas tank, muffler, and "rope start":

IMG_4923a.jpg

Briggs_326431.jpg

The engine code is 01103048 = '01, Oct30, plant 48 (China I presume)With a few mods, I used it to repower a 17GTH-L that I picked up with a blown KT-17:

SovGTHL_0027.jpg

SovGTHL_0030.jpg

IMG_4923a.jpg.e29121a2c6fbf03e3353b43c863b5b74.jpg

Briggs_326431.jpg.5cf2a1304c6606aeeb3ce0117a9f272b.jpg

SovGTHL_0027.jpg.c5f1bd5821bd3c2aadfc833ece17d7b5.jpg

SovGTHL_0030.jpg.c0efd84b928829b3d77d80f7ec2605f4.jpg

Bill, how did you get that engine through small engine warehouse?? I would like to purchase a brand new :D one. Thanks, Elliott

Bill, when Immigrations and Customs locks you up, we'll pass the hat and take up a collection to bail you out. Honest. We will. Really. 8D

Hey, it's not my fault Mr Fed.

I didn't know it was contraband when I ordered it online.

And after it arrived, I called you trying to find out what to do, but after being transferred a few times and put on hold for hours I gave up and figured it didn't really matter.

And it's really Kohler's fault for that toilet engine that failed...if that didn't happen I wouldn't have needed a new engine and wouldn't have bought contraband!

And Elliot, a few of the those engines were listed on their web site when I was looking for a replacement engine. Just lucky (or un-lucky?) I guess.

That 16HP looks sweet! @ 113# w/o the added weight of a S/G.

Did u have to modify the block to add that extra 25#/

that attached tank is a good one, if it's like the one that the po of my '69 LL substituted, 4 the 'Swiss cheese OEM. BUT it really needs some internal baffles under "field conditions".

??? why is the 18HP 5# lighter than the 16HOP ??? Surely an air cleaner, and muffler cant account for the difference!

quote:Originally posted by GrincheyOne

That 16HP looks sweet! @ 113# w/o the added weight of a S/G.Did u have to modify the block to add that extra 25#?that attached tank is a good one, if it's like the one that the PO of my '69 LL substituted, 4 the 'Swiss cheese OEM. BUT it really needs some internal baffles under "field conditions".??? why is the 18HP 5# lighter than the 16HP ??? Surely an air cleaner, and muffler cant account for the difference!

id="quote">
id="quote">

Grinchey,

No block mods needed for the S/G. The S/G bracket bolts to the gas tank bracket holes if I remember correctly (or other holes that were already there).

quote:Originally posted by PhanDad

Grinchey,No block mods needed for the S/G. The S/G bracket bolts to the gas tank bracket holes if I remember correctly (or other holes that were already there).

id="quote">
id="quote">That B good! I hte to drill and tap blind.Is the owners manual and IPL in English? Hah

I bought two of these from Small engine warehouse about the same time as Bill a 10hp and a 16hp. The 16hp runs great the 10hp is still in the box.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

I bought two of these from Small engine warehouse about the same time as Bill a 10hp and a 16hp. The 16hp runs great the 10hp is still in the box.

id="quote">
id="quote">Ray, when did you buy them? And how much?

There are dealers in the Philipines that is a u.s. Territory I believe. We should be able to get them here then. At least that is my opinion.

As far as I know, the Philipines became independent of the United States in 1946. However, if you're visting, you are allowed two checked and two carry-ons. ^

I wonder how much they are asking for them? Is Cast Iron a valuable resource?

Ray and/or Bill: just wondering, did your engines come complete with a charging system? Or did you have to add a charging system? Im guessing not since Bill has a S/G on his.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from a work China trip, those motors are there.

I've been working to get my hands on a few 18hp's. The import work-around to make sure you can import these "polluting" motors is quite the headache.

Manuals are easy to come by

quote:Originally posted by superbman101

Just got back from a work China trip, those motors are there.I've been working to get my hands on a few 18hp's. The import work-around to make sure you can import these "polluting" motors is quite the headache.FYI to all the model number is 327400 and you can buy all the parts here in the USA to make a 18hp. Manuals are easy to come by

id="quote">
id="quote">It is still a 32 CID engine. I noticed for the 18HP engine, the brag picture says "marine". If that's the case, it not uncommon to wind up engine speed 2-400 RPM to get a craft up and plane. But once out of the water and craft up to speed you generally pull on the throttle to maintain some engine life.

Horvik,

The clutch shown above is from Warmer; it was originally going to be used to replace the one on my Homelite T-12.

The Warner part number for the replacement clutch (shown above) for my Briggs powered Homelite is #5215-142, Warner part number for similar 1 1/8" clutch is #5215-140. I have drawings of both.

Here's a post about electric clutches and some of the headaches I've had with them:

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109463

Superbman101,

Do you have muffles for a 3416 H Simplicity, as your business card leads me to believe? Hav ea site?

Thanks