Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Homesteader

Allis 310 Questions

Homesteader

Hey guys, its been 2 years since I did anything with my 310 and now the belt is pretty toast. Does anyone have the number for the drive belt? It's a pretty wide belt for the variable speed. Also, with the belt off I can see that the BGB is about toast. There is lots of lash in the gears and side to side play on the output shaft. Any suggestions or tips on how to fix it? or do I just find a different BGB?

PhanDad

Great question; I'd say yes IF it were a hydro. But since it's a variable, I don't know. So I checked part numbers.

According to the 300 series parts manual, for early serial number tractors, the cross shaft is Allis part #2027040 which crosses to Simplicity part #164114. (The 300 series hydro cross shaft is Allis part #2025572 which crosses to Simplicity #154135) Neither of these parts are listed in Jack's Database.

For later serial number tractors, the cross shaft is Allis part #2027986 which crosses to Simplicity part #173966. (The 300 series hydro cross shaft is Allis part #1607132 which crosses to Simplicity #1607132 (same #, not a typo)) The #173966 is now listed as #1685054SM at Jack's, but no info as to diameter or length. The #1607132 is now listed as #2172207SM at Jack's and is 7/8" dia x 13.31" long.

Another A/C reference is my A/C built Homelite. Interestingly the T-10 has a "dual range" transmission and uses the same cross shaft as the later serial number 300 series hydro cross shaft (#1607132).

And to complete the story, the T-12,15,&16, with Vickers hydro, cross shaft is part #173966 which is now listed at Jack's as part #1685054SM. The #1685054SM is the common 7100 series hydro cross shaft; the reason for my initial "I'd say yes IF it were a hydro" statement. Now I'm not so sure. Based on part numbers, it seems the 300 series is unique. Maybe a 7100 series 6 speed would be the same? Or if a 7100 6-speed is the same setup as the Homelite T-10, it's BGB would match the 300 series hydro, not the variable.

So bottom line, I'm of no help answering the question.

I have no info about Simplicity variables, maybe those BGB's are the same. Hopefully someone will have some info.