Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
thirdjoker

42 inch deck idler assy

thirdjoker

I'm a little confused about the idler pulley and bracket assy on my 1965 big ten. I am in the process of getting my tractors (1965 Big Ten and 1965 101) ready for cutting season.I bought new belts- both have 42 inch decks.

The 101 has a idler arm assy with a tensioner spring. but the Big Ten doesn't. It just has a pulley mounted on a stud that slides in a slot in the deck top.I had to pry on it to get it tight.

Also there is no hole for the pivot point for a idler arm and no spring. Is That correct or am i missing something. The only label on the deck is manufactured under 2801510-2869399-2924928.

Can anyone help me figure it out? thanks

B10Dave

The original stamped decks had the slot. Next generation had the pivot bracket and spring. I am guessing the deck on your BigTen is not the original. It is one that probably came on an early B10 after they stopped making the bolt together decks.If you get the pivot bracket and spring you can convert it...Dave

dentwizz

I converted all of mine to the spring type, though the rigid had its advantages. In my case I like the no-adjustment, but the rigid is less susceptible to resonance/bounce.

Scag mowers still use bolt idlers without springs for that reason. It is a bit more cumbersome to set up but it keeps all of the blades in phase better. That exibits as a 'chatter' mark in the mowing under certain circumstances.