Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
damon91

General hydrostat maintenence question

damon91

I know this tractor is the wrong color for this website but I have a question about the sunstrand hydro gear transmission in a 1991 snapper rider that our family has had since brand new. I have searched hydrogears manuals on this transaxle and looked in the owners manual and have not came up with a good answer. The input shaft on this has what I believe to be non sealed roller bearings then it 90's through bevel gears to the pump. Part of me feels that after 20 some years of use I should pull and re grease these bearings for preventive maintenence. but the other part of me says if it isnt broke, dont mess with it. Any input or experiances would be greatly appreciated. here are some pics so you can get a better idea.

02133.jpg

02134.jpg

02133.jpg.047ccaddc26e65deff85fa5712573722.jpg

02134.jpg.d687e10cc123d76f98a089a5f2610b71.jpg

Brettw

I am not familiar with this Sundstrand pump, however, my experience with them is that they are bulletproof. If there is a way to change the fluid and filter on this setup, that is what I would do. I wouldn't mess with anything else, as you say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". When changing any fluids or filters it is always very important to make sure that everything is very clean. Clean up the drain plug area, filter areas, fill area, etc. As bulletproof as these are, their one nemesis is dirt.

Good luck!