Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower Deck Refurb

Mike_H

I'm working on a 42" deck that is in decent, not great, shape. Got a couple holes in it that are very repairable. I figured, while its all torn apart for spindle bearings and welding, I should probably squirt some paint on it too. Has anyone used Truck Bed liner on the bottoms of their decks? Seems like a perfect application for it. The stuff is as tough as nails, and it should protect the steel underneath from rusting due to all the wet grass that collects under there.

Best thing I've used is POR-15. Never comes off. You need to follow the instructions completely though, including using their precleaner and prep solution. You can buy a small kit, enough to do the underside of a deck, pretty inexpensively.

The best thing I have ever found is KBS Rust Seal. Comes in many colors including Industrial yellow and orange. You have to either sand-blast or use their prep products - but this stuff is a "moisture cure polyurethane - and it is tough as nails. I painted the underside of a B-10 deck over 8 years ago, and the paint is still there. Unbelievable.

I have used truck bed liner and it works good if the deck is properly prepared (sandblasted and primed). It is no better than what it is adhered to.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I found a starter set of POR-15 on amazon for 20 or so dollars...Decided to try that. Had a bit of shop time tonight, so I got the deck shell patched and welded back up. Also started working on the spindles...and proceeded to bend two pulleys. So, I'll have to source some new one...Hopefully I can find em cheaper at McMaster or TSC than the OEM ones at 25 bucks a pop from jacks.

Anyway, don't laugh at my welds. I know how to weld, theoretically, but in practice, I need more! Here are my deck repairs...

Where I started...Large hole

20150507_192854.jpg

Smaller Hole

20150507_192859.jpg

Crack

20150507_192903.jpg

Cut Out the ROT

20150507_200010.jpg

Close fit of patch (this one turned out MUCH better than the larger one

20150507_210300.jpg

Finished welding...

20150507_211548.jpg

20150507_211544.jpg

Couple things I noticed...A welder is VERY good at finding thin spots, and when patching, too big is WAY better than too small!

Now on to the one tool that can make even an amateur like me look like a hero...the Grinder!

Another deck saved from going to a junk yard! As you said the grinder is a great friend :-). Good job

Nice workdOd

Just finishing up on a 44 and 50 myself. Welding on these reminds me of why I quit fixing rusty deck shells..

More progress today. Took a chance on a 35 dollar HF portable sandblaster. It works pretty good! Loaded it with a 9 dollar bag of black diamond (coal dust) and it cleaned the deck shell really well. I only did the top though. Ran out of time, and I'll need a better tip for the gun, or it will take FOREVER. I will say that however Simplicity used to paint these things, its pretty tough stuff.

20150509_203050.jpg

20150509_203104.jpg

20150509_203124.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Appalachian

Looks great. You must have a beast of an air compressor!

My shop is going to be built this summer...so I've been working at my dad's place. HE has a beast of a compressor! 4 cylinder, 5 hp. It will fully regen to 125 psi while I was running the blaster. I have a good one too, but I don't have the power to run it in my garage.

Edited by Mike_H

quote:Originally posted by dentwizz

4 cyl for 5hp, thats hot....8D

id="quote">
id="quote">I also have a much different view of what's "hot", than I did 30 years ago!:o

For what it's worth I have always wire brushed mine and used Never Fail Tin Roof Coating, It stays on and treats rust. last 1 I did was 10 year ago and still rust free on the bottom.

More work tonight...Got the spindles all apart and cleaned up. They were kind of a bear. Sure am glad I have access to a full toolroom at work (and all the guys work for me!) a little misuse of company knowledge and equipment (after hours, of course) goes a long way toward making this job easier! I have class tomorrow night, but Thursday and Friday I hope to get these parts painted in POR. Then I'll have to clean up the rest of the stuff (lift and rollers, covers, etc.) and get everything painted a nice shade of orange. I did damage, beyond repair, two of the steel pulleys, so I have to wait for those to show up. I may also need some shims. Anyone know why there is a really thin (like 0.005") shim that seems to bear on the inner race of the bearing? I had to get pretty nasty with one of the lower bearings on one of the spindles, and while the bearing took the brunt of the abuse, the shims did not escape unscathed. I managed to pound them back to a relatively flat state, but they are damaged, and I'm not sure they're available anymore. I have access to a good assortment of shim stock, but the punch set is not nearly big enough for what I need to replace. I suppose I could try to turn them while they were sandwiched in between a couple piece of plastic (like a zero clearance insert) but I'd rather just use the ones I have...

Blasted Spindles.jpg

57e06163625af_BlastedSpindles.jpg.baf474e315a09bd8536bc1b57605ceac.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update: The Spindles have been rebuilt, and are looking good. The deck also has POR-15 on it, and the top has a skim coat of primer. I'm stripping the rest of the parts (about 30% done) and I will shoot primer next weekend (hopefully).

20150531_193848_zpskobv5ouk.jpg

20150531_193906_zpsxqzk04ly.jpg

20150531_194023_zpsrc1kufli.jpg

20150531_194054_zpso1dqgjtx.jpg

• 2 months later...

It has taken me longer than anticipated to get to this point. Hobbies always go that way for me. My brother buying a house, and getting two different mowers ready for him took a couple weeks from my projects. Anyway, I have paint on her now! Mixed up some Allis Orange and Ford Red, and came pretty darn close to simplicity orange. Close enough for me anyway. The paint job isn't perfect, there is some orange peel, but that's OK. ..it's a mower deck. I'm practicing on this,so when it comes time to do the tractor, I'll have it figured out. Here are some progress pics I took this weekend In primer

20150801_142354_zpsmnlbmonl.jpg

Lil bondo to cover welds

20150801_142414_zpscj76otjg.jpg

1st coat...note my makeshift spray booth. Actually worked pretty well to keep the overspray contained

20150802_124756_zps0wqoo7gp.jpg

Finished...

20150802_171546_zps1wniegfd.jpg

20150802_171623_zpstk9pzwsu.jpg

I still have the deck leveling mechanism to clean up and paint, but it should start going back together real soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to update this...Its almost done. I actually have it back together, but the deck height adjusters are not working. They just seem to bind Going through the list of P/N's for 42" decks, and I just don't see one that matches exactly. Maybe someone here can figure out whats wrong. Once I get it all working again, I just have to touch up a couple of oopses, and then apply my stickers!Here are some pics...

Deck1.jpg

Under side

deck2.jpg

With Cover

deck3.jpg

deck4.jpg

Here is where I'm struggling. This is the way it came off...Not to say that its right. I don't know who worked on this thing before I got it. The adjustment handles appear to be from earlier model decks, but the mounting style appears newer. In other words, in all the IPL's with this style handle, the fixed point was attached 90° to the moving point...Everything else on the deck leads me to think its a 990885, but the adjustment mechanism (except the handles) matches the later styles (like 1690252)Here is the 990885 style

885 style.JPG

and the 252 style

252 style.JPG

here is what I have. I realize after studying the IPL's that some things are flipped 180. I also realize that the roller bar is not correctly assembled...

height1.jpg

height2.jpg

Edited by Mike_H

i got it working last night...Apparently ALL the nuts and bolts related to the adjustment assembly need to be loose. Kind of a PITA, if you ask me...but anyway, I'm going to set it and forget it. It got it the paint touch ups, and will get stickers in the next couple days. Then, it will go on a shelf, until its tractor is ready...

I think you will like the POR 51 on the bottom, I redid a deck 3 years ago and had it off this week to clean and there isn't a chip in that POR 51, still like the day I painted it. Good stuff IMO.