Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Glassonion

3112V Rear End Issue

Glassonion

Well, first day as a member and first problem I need help with!

My 3112V had a problem with the rear axle - there was a lot of lateral play (you could slide it 2 inches side to side). When you moved it to one side the rear axle would 'disengage' and the tractor would stop moving. Sometimes you could fix it by rocking it back and forth or pushing in on the sides of the wheels.

I didn't have time to work on it and I found someone locally to fix it for me. He fixed the lateral play issue (he said there was a retaining clip missing inside the diff) and everything seemed fine.

I got the tractor home and pulled it off the trailer. When I shifted out of R into a forward gear it 'disengaged' again and I had no power to the wheels. I rolled it down the hill into the yard and it started working. Then today I was driving it around a bit and I clutched it to change gears and now it won't reengage at all. I pushed it all around the yard, pushed on the sides, rocked it back and forth, and nothing happened.

The diff and outer axle tubes are turning and you can see the speed difference when you shift to various gears (or reverse direction for R), but the wheels and inner axle/wheel hubs don't turn.

Does the fact that the diff and the outer axle tubes turn suggest that it is a problem in the diff and not in the gearbox?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Glassonion

Well, that's frustrating since the guy just had the diff off and apart to replace that retaining ring. He said the gears all looked good - maybe there is a key missing somewhere.

Weird that it worked for a while and then quit. I guess it just lined up exactly right for a while.

Glassonion

Well, I finally got the tractor back to the guy last weekend.

He called me today and said he took it all back apart and there doesn't seem to be anything broken in the diff.

Apparently the spacer in the diff is too thick, causing the gears not to fully engage with the gear on the axle. Supposedly you can hear them just barely brushing past each other. He said if he reassembled without the spacer it would 'probably' work, but would be 'locked and 1:1 instead of 4:1'.

I'm going to head over tomorrow and have a look at it, but is this something anyone's seen before? Suggestive of a dead/worn diff or problem with assembly?

MikeES

Locked 1:1 instead of 4:1 does not make any sense?? Even if the space in the diff is too thick the tractor would still go. The wrong assembly of the diff will lock it up (posi-traction) but the tractor will still go, but will want to go straight ahead. With out tube and diff turning there is either a key missing/sheared or broken gear.

I can't think of a way to assemble the diff spider gears so they just spin, maybe there is a way???

Glassonion

Mike, thanks for the reply. That was my impression as well. Maybe the key holding the center gear to the axle is missing. Hopefully it will be something obvious. I'll go see it tomorrow morning and maybe take some photos.

Glassonion

I stopped by to look at the tractor today.

He had the axle out so I couldn't really tell how it was turning but not engaging, unfortunately.

I suspect there is something going on with the placement/size/number of the spacer washers that's preventing the teeth from lining up on the axle gear correctly.

He suggested that possibly taking out one of the 2 spacers would let it engage (altho it might result in posi-traction.

Is there any harm in running it locked, at least for the short term?

I'm not going to be mowing with it, it'll be used for pulling aerator, trailers, plow, etc. Also, if you lock the diff, how does that then interact with the nylon slip sleeve on the diff-side hub? Will that still function?

MikeES

If he is talking about the spacers for the spider gears, if assembled correct is not your problem. Do not assemble without the spacers, you will end up with broken gears! If the diff is lock up the tractor is a real bear to steer...they just want to go straight ahead and will be hard on the lawn.

AC212 diff.jpg

The spider gears are mounted left/right in pairs.

57e0616bd96ff_AC212diff.jpg.f14432b284db9a6a595b7264a3f21132.jpg

Glassonion

I think he was referring to the washers labeled V in the diagram.

I just got a txt that it was reassembled and good to go, so I'll head over tomorrow.

Is there an easy way to check whether the diff is locked or just in proper limited slip mode?

Willy

Try pushing the axle all the way in then on the other side

loosen the coller on the axle and shove it up tight to the

rear end.

sometimes they work loose and slide over letting the diff..

disengage.