Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Just bought a 1971 or 73 soverign not really sure

Enzos-Dad

I have been looking for an older garden tractor for quite some time to haul firewood, and help around the yard. I found this on Craigslist and it was listed as a Montgomery ward tractor. After researching I am pretty sure it's a simplicity soverign. The p.o. was a body shop guy so he sandblasted it an repainted it. That's the good news. Bad news is it has electrical issues and runs really bad. He said he had the carb re built but I don't think I was done right. Tractor lacks power and stalls. Seems to be running rich and is blowing smoke. I have restored motorcycles but never a tractor. I may need help trouble shooting the carb.

Simplicity quit making tractors for Wards long before 1971, The rich condition can be caused by jet settings, float setting in carb.

Here are 4 - models 990771, 655, 758, 872. At the top of the page on this FORUM is a thread where you can download operators manuals. If any of the above four look similar to these, it will be a good start.

The Gilson made Wards garden tractors have a cast iron pan, the heavy front axle is mounted to the bottom of the engine with a large steel pin. There is a lever on the left side of the dash pedestal with a shaft that runs up to operate the pto on the front of the engine.

I have 2 70's Monkeys 1 is a hydro 14 and the other a variable 16.

Welcome to the site!

If you work on bikes you can work on tractors.

There is a ton of knowledgeable people on this site ready to help you out. Don't be afraid to ask anything at all.

Sounds like you may have carb issues or a partially plugged fuel line at the tank. Gunk settles in the screen inside the tank and in the elbow at the fuel outlet. Pull the fuel line at the carb and check your flow to see if you have a good stream. If flow is good, you will need to pull the bowl off the carb and look for junk in the float bowl and needle valve area. Check the engine shroud for serial numbers and use that to order a rebuild kit for your carb.

Best of luck on your issues. id="size1">

Thanks for the help, tonight when I get home from work I will look at the fuel line, I will also join this site tonight, I am a forum junkie.

After researching more I have figured out I have a 1974 Simplicity baron 3414h , I will post pictures after I figure out how to pay the 10 dollars" I decoded the engine and looked at old simplicty pictures.

probably too late to tell you.

But working on garden tractors is addictive

tomorrow morning you may wake up with two more

Electrical gremlins, no power to headlights, turning key to the kill position does not shut it off...

Came home from work an inspected the tank replaced the fuel lines and filter, still running very poorly. I cannot get it to run more than 5 minutes and the engine is misfiring and jolting the whole tractor. I bought a new briggs carb kit from a good local power equiptment shop and may try to replace tomorrow. The previous owner had the carb rebuilt, but it is covered in film of gas when running.

I starting to wonder if it is the carb....

And can anyone confirm this is a baron. I'm guessing by the engine numbers ending in 7309181 it was built in sept of 73... I also am guessing that the middle # 0144-01 makes is a 14hp.....so 74 baron

Andrew, welcome to the club from another Connecticut yankee. We're a small but growing corner of this club. Most guys seem to be midwest, but they seem to have a lot more of these machines out there. Dave

Returned the carb kit for the needle and new float bowl, I think I am zeroing on the issue......soon on to the electrical

quote:Originally posted by Enzos-Dad

Electrical gremlins, no power to headlights, turning key to the kill position does not shut it off...Came home from work an inspected the tank replaced the fuel lines and filter, still running very poorly. I cannot get it to run more than 5 minutes and the engine is misfiring and jolting the whole tractor. I bought a new briggs carb kit from a good local power equiptment shop and may try to replace tomorrow. The previous owner had the carb rebuilt, but it is covered in film of gas when running.I starting to wonder if it is the carb....And can anyone confirm this is a baron. I'm guessing by the engine numbers ending in 7309181 it was built in sept of 73... I also am guessing that the middle # 0144-01 makes is a 14hp.....so 74 baron

id="quote">
id="quote">You are correct in dating the engine, but not with the 0144-01.That is the type number and tells other things but I don't remember exactly what.The first set of numbers, "model" will tell more about the engine. The first 2 digits, should be 32, 32xxxx, meaning 32 cubic inches and could be 14 15 or 16 hp.

If it was my mowing deck I'd just keep it. You never know when you may want to use it and when you ever re-sell it the tractor will be more attractive with the deck. In my opinion the Simplicity finish mows better than any other.

I have a 3410, using for the last 10 years to mow, snow dozer and haul stuff. I love it and will keep it forever.

Good luck with yours!

Discouraged! I should of never of bought this tractor knowing the previous owner did not know it was a simplicity. I have rebuilt the car, cleaned the main needle and changed the plug and I still have no progress making it run.....it ran for 10 mins at the most, now I can't get it to run for a minute and the new plug is already fouled..last time I had this kind of trouble I had a blown kohler engine on my walk behind.......I'm thinking of selling it in three pieces, tractor, mowing deck and plow just get my 350 back...I'm at a total loss .

Check the float to insure it has no gas / water inside. If cracked it will allow gas to flood the carb, manifold, engine. If it sat outside with water in the bowl that water will freeze and squeese the float til it cracks. Easy to pull it, shake it next to your ear. If cracked they can be soldered or just replace it. Good luck and don't be discouraged, with the awesome team here at Simple Tractors you will figure it out:D

awsome tractor don't get discouraged! Even with a blown motor its only about 300. mx to rebuild it if you do a lot yourself

I ordered a new float for the carb, I know it's a fuel issue, so hopefully I will sort it out.

Welcome! If you are discouraged inside of a week....this may not be uour cup of tea. BUT...when you nail it, you will be looking for worse and worse ones to resurrect! Have you checked to see if the flywheel key is sheared? Doesnt sound like fuel to me, and fiddling with the carb can compound issues. A carb tune should only take 10 minutes. If that dont do it, look at your fire.

Whats it look like if you pop the head? Does it start easy?