Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord DLX Resistor at PTO clutch?

Chris727

I picked up a Landlord DLX a few years ago. It has the 18hp Briggs Vanguard. When I finally got it to the point where I could attempt to mow I found the PTO clutch was failing. I had seen what looked like a jumper wire jury rigged into the back of the two wires in the clutch connector plug (on the tractor side of the harness). I later determined it was supposed to be there. I have not seen this on any other machine of any make. I suspect I damaged it trying to remove it. Is anyone familiar with what purpose it serves? Do I need to replace the whole lower harness?

Thank You.

I would think the purpose of the resister is to lower the current flow thru the clutch windings to minimize heat buildup. Maybe Simplicity found heat buildup in that application lead to early clutch failure.

If you find the resistance of the coil, and you added a resistor of the same value in parallel, that would halve the current passing thru the coil. If the clutch won't hold in, increase the added resistor value. If you use a resistor with twice the value, then 2/3 of the current will flow thru the coil, 3 times value, then 75% thru coil.