Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3210 Landlord

Philco

I'm a proud owner of a 3210 Landlord that I inherited from my father-in-law. He took good care of the machine but between his death and my ownership, the tractor feel in disrepair. I have been able to repair most problems with general cleaning, maintenance and changing of oil. However, recently the transmission shift lever will not move all the way back to either second and reverse gears. I have been looking over the forum and found some help but would really like to hear more before I do something drastic.

I would check in the shift tunnel for debris, since they tend to accumulate grass and sticks and mouse nests.

Secondly, there is a universal joint of sorts that attaches to the transmission. Sometimes that can bind as well.

Thank you for your reply!

I actually removed the plug on the top of the transmission last night and used a screw driver to line up the slots so that the shift lever can move to the back two gears.

I now have two more questions:

1. It is fixed for now, but I do not want to be constantly using a screw driver to put it back in line. What is the actual fix?

2. This happened twice - I removed the top plug and pressure released. Is this normal or should there be a pressure relief hold/ vent somewhere that is plugged?

Philco; your shift linkage is worn. If you don't want to be realigning the slots you need to be very gentle when shifting. Don't try to be too quick or the shift forks may not move far enough before the lever disengages. Old tractor/lots of wear...Dave

Also...do not shift on the fly. Be sure tractor comes to a complete stop before changing gears.