Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
mendon-chalmers

Tiller problem

mendon-chalmers

Good morning all , have a 32" tiller on a B1 & while tilling it leaves pattern about every 6 ft. apart there is a hill then hole a hill then a hole , ground was level to start with don't notice the tractor speeding then slowing but that's what I come up with , I am using the largest 12" or 14" inch pulley & 1st gear. Help this stinks.

720nut

Thanks what it sounds like to me but, I'm no expert. Is it possible that every so often you get a hard piece of soil and it just pushes you along not sure how to explain. My 720 will do that when I have down pressure on tiller and I hit a hard spot. just my $.02

mendon-chalmers

Thanks thought of that so I have even tilled extra deep & leveled with grader blade & then tilled shallow & same thing not as bad but it was still there it's like it's timed but can't figure the big 3 when, where, & why ? Thinking of speeding tiller up or slowing tractor down more ?

rokon2813

Is your garden on a small slope?

Sometimes on a slight hill, with all the "play" in the drive system, a little in the gear box, a little in the transmission, a little in the differential, the tractor will roll ahead a bit, then slow or sit still, while all the "play" catches up. Just a thought.

This is usually noticable as a "lurching" forward motion rather than steady.

To see how much "play" you have, with engine off and tractor in gear, try rolling the tractor back and forth and see how far it moves. Probably from an inch to 4 or 5 inches.

Small rocks deep in your soil will do the same thing, but not usually in a "pattern".

Also try slowing your RPM's to just above idle. It is not always necessary to till at high rpm. Higher rpm = higher tine speed = higher the tiller will "bounce" when it hits a harder spot.

I usually till deep for all my passes except the last one. For the last pass I put a bolt in one of the holes in the quadrant to stop the tiller from going as deep, then it leaves a nice level surface.