Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

mower PTO belt tension

reindeere

Greetings, all:

First post! And already, I need help....

Anyway, I acquired a fair-to-passable Big Ten last year but only got as far as mounting the mower deck and scalping a little bit of the yard. Since then I've cobbled together functioning rear height adjustors, cleaned out the space beneath the belt covers, and adjusted the clutch, brake, and PTO per the Simplicity Landlord manual.

My issue is that now when I engage the PTO, the belt from the PTO bracket assembly to the mower deck doesn't seem tight enough. Note above that I was able to scalp. Now it won't even spin the blades. Yes, the blades spin by hand. The PTO bracket assembly can't travel back any further to tighten the belt.

Comments and questions welcome. And a source for a mower deck manual (42"), too.

Thanks for any help,

Perry

What length is your cross driving belt? If it is worn or too long it will cause that problem. Typically 44" will fit fine, but 43" can help with that. Once in a while I have had some where I had to take the tension spring off the release lever(under the transmission) and move the bolt backward an inch. That would be a last resort.

Thanks for the info, dentwizz. I measured the belt and found it to be 47-1/2". That would explain a lot.

As for the release lever, there isn't one. The tension spring just hooks to a bolt where I imagine the lever should have been. My guesstimation is that the tension is sufficient - is there a specified value?

Thanks,

Perry

Some of the early models didn't have a release lever. Sounds like that is the case. I retrofitted my 64 LL to have a lever, it is just fitted on the same bolt the spring is on now. Only difference is it's a little easier to set the deck on and off. That is one thing I like with Simplicity stuff, most of the updates within the generation are backwards compatible. If you put the 44" belt on you should be fine.

I got and put on a new 44.1" x 1/2" belt from my local Simplicity dealer. With the cross belt around the larger sheave of the PTO, the clutch belt was so tight that it was constantly engaged and no amount of adjusting would loosen it. I moved the cross belt to the smaller sheave and was able to adjust the clutch belt. However, raising the mower deck pushes the bail against the cross belt and tightens the clutch belt enough to engage it. So...two questions: is the small sheave of the PTO the correct one for the cross belt? and is it possible/likely that my clutch belt is too short? (my old Big Ten, 37+ years ago, didn't have this problem)

Oh, the good news - I mowed my yard with it this evening!

The most informative thing my old dealer connection told me was get the 44" belt on first, on the big pulley. Then make the other belts accomodate. It can vary between 32" through 35" depending on variables. Unfortunately, the belt tends to rub the deck frame when lifted. Some frame designs were more dropped than others for clearance. The earlier units were higher and more likely to rub.