Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Onan starter

720nut

I finally got my 620 wired but when I try to start the starter seems to be dragging. are there shims for starter, I don't remember removing any when I rebiult engine. any help would be appreciatedC

What do you mean by "Dragging". The Onan manual specifies the clearance between the flywheel and the starter gear as 1/16 to 1/8 inch when the starter is not engaged. There are spacers behind the two bolts that attach the starter to it's mounting plate that set this spacing.

I just went though an exercise of replacing the starter solenoid on my 620 only to find out that the battery connection going to the ignition switch was bad.

Try running a temporary jumperid="red"> wire direct from the battery to the "start" terminal on the solenoid, that will eliminate a lot of possible issues you may be having.

John U

Agree with John. Likely clearance is on the low end. Might also be gunk in bendix is causing it to not retract properly.

Thanks guys I'll see if it frees up after running a while. sure hate to have to pull engine just to get at starter. are bendix available ?

Experience has taught me to always start the engine on pallet before I re-install in the tractor.

John U