Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Latest Load, NOT so fun part part 2 of 3

rokon2813

trip 1 010.jpg

Apparently, my running board is somewhere on the NYS Thruway. Happened about a 1/2 mile from an exit, so I limped it through the toll booth, so I could get off the highway to change it. Dug out the jack, and spare (behind 5 mower decks), got her up, lug nuts off, and the wheel was froze on the hub. Fought with that for a few minutes, and put the lug nuts back on and limped to a truck stop with 24 hour shop. They would not come out to the parking lot with a sledge hammer, nor let me use it due to "liability". They were also too "busy" to bring it in. (Shop was empty and not a soul around) So..... Took all the lug nuts 1/2 way off and drove back and forth turning the wheels and hitting the brakes till it broke loose. Yay, 55 minutes to change a tire. By the way, that still holds air !!!

57e05a1b3dbd9_trip1010.jpg.0ab9bc3a402885eab31710e818190c8e.jpg

Dan,

When I was swapped my summer and winter tires around on my Prizm the rims would be frozen to the drums. I had to kick them off from under the car. It was always very tricky. I had to make the car secure so it would not fall off the jack and trap me, but at the same time give me enough room to swing my leg.. I wouldn't want to try that with a full size truck. Good thought about using the truck to break the rim free.

Sorry to hear the truck stop mechanics were jerks.

Rick........

Usually, I can "throw" the spare at the top of the tire and they will break loose. Not this time..... And throwing a 16" truck tire a dozen times is not fun.....

Throwing a sixteen inch truck tire more than a dozen times does not sound like fun....

Rick....

It seems to me that this "pre-treatment " liquid stuff that is applied to the highways prior to a snowfall is extremely caustic, much more that good old road salt. That stuff will rot any metal even aluminum. Good job improvising Rokon!

Wow, sorry to hear about that tire trouble....would anti seize work between the rim and drum? (for next time I mean). jh

quote:Originally posted by johnmonkey

Wow, sorry to hear about that tire trouble....would anti seize work between the rim and drum? (for next time I mean). jh

id="quote">
id="quote">It should have, but apparently not :o:O