Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
B112_son

Bought a prestige

B112_son

Over the weekend I picked up a used prestige. It's a 23hp command with power steering and 54" deck. It has 650 hours but it has been all maintained as the seller's father in law owns the local simplicity dealership where it was always serviced. It still needs a few things. It hasn't been serviced yet this year, does anyone have a manual or can instruct me where to get one? Also, the hydro fluid has never been changed, at 650 hours should I be changing it? Lastly, the seller said it needs new blades, do they make gator blades for the 54" deck and do they work better?

Thanks

1978Simplicity7016H

I use my uncles Conquest to mow his yard. His is a 23 Vanguard, 50 inch deck, and manual steering. I have never had problems with it. Yes, I prefer the older tractors to mow with, but this one is pretty nice. It's always nice to use something big and faster to get the job done. As for your questions.....

I have no clue about the transmission oil, and as for the blades—I would think they would make gator blades for it, but whether they cut well or not I don't know.

BUT:

You can find a manual here:

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/us/en/support/manuals/results?search=99087

Model Number: 990871

Ronald Hribar

My dealer said it does no good. Even advises against changing filter

I wanted to change to a fluid that is good at zero degrees Transmission really whines when cold

Bruker

^What he said...

I changes the oil & filter(s) on my Prestige after the first 150 hours then at 300 hours I again ordered the filter(s) from JSE. This time they actually called me and said Simplicity recommends not changing the filters as there's a good chance of getting air into the system which I guess would cause big problems

Chris727

Interesting. Some of the Deere units (X500 series) also use the K71 trans and get serviced within the first xxx hours. Never had a problem with air so far.

B112_son

Thanks for the info guys. Sorry been moving and been away for a week. I have another question about the blades. Is anyone using the gator blades and do you like them. They are actually cheaper than simplicity but the center blade is NLA so I'm wondering if I should just get all simplicity blades or get the two outside in gator and the center simplicity. Any thoughts?

B112_son

Also, the deck only has one baffle on the closed side of the deck. It looks like there are places for 2 more baffles over the other 2 spindles. Should there be?

B112_son

Well that's kinda what I was thinking. My only complaint on the blades I have is that they don't throw the grass very well, but they also need replaced. The center blade had the fins bent and cracked and the other two blades were worn terribly

locknut
quote:Originally posted by B112_son

Thanks guys I'll just order a set of simplicity blades. Anyone have any insights on the baffles?

id="quote">
id="quote">Here's a pic of the 54 deck I used a while back.Only had one baffle and did a super job cutting,with new blades.002-3_zps3958ee03.jpg

B112_son

Thanks for all the help guys. Picked up a new set of blades today finally and got everything put back together and mowed. What a difference. In comparing the new blades to old I guessing they were original because the thickness was worn to the point the fins that throw the grass were showing cracks on all three blades.

Leroy
quote:Originally posted by B112_son

Well that's kinda what I was thinking. My only complaint on the blades I have is that they don't throw the grass very well, but they also need replaced. The center blade had the fins bent and cracked and the other two blades were worn terribly

id="quote">
id="quote">I'm Guessing the seller that sold this was not taking very good care of the father inlaw's daughter, or that thing would have been in top shape before you bought it.

gwiseman
quote:Originally posted by Ronald Hribar

My dealer said it does no good. Even advises against changing filter. I wanted to change to a fluid that is good at zero degrees. Transmission really whines when cold

id="quote">
id="quote">Realize mine is K66 & discussion is K71. However, my Simplicity service guide says K66 on my '01 Conquest is “sealed” too. Last winter I need to add oil to the reservoir. I used a long hose, funnel, and the little lady of the house to pour the oil whilst I lay under the machine holding the hose, eyeballing the fluid level, and gently giving instructions. It was a :||of a job! Next time I'll remove the seat deck! Later I found Tuff Torq recommends 5W50 synthetic. I used 10W30 conventional per Simplicity service guide. I plan to drain, refill w/ 5w50 syn and purge air as tuff torq recommends next winter. https://www.tufftorqservices.com/EnvEEdefault/FlatHTML/TechInfo/ttcoil/pdfs/cc%20K62%20&%20K66%20Oil%20Changing%20Procedure.pdf

drbrian722

I did the oil on my Conquest (K66) and did a write up of the whole thing on a different site. [http://www.mytractorforum.com/16-simplicity-allis-chalmers-forum/247125-conquest-k66-oil-change.html] The actual oil change will be a little different, but getting to the axle and the general idea of what you're in for is the same.

The difference in my Conquest after doing it puts me squarely in the "change the oil" camp. In fact I just grafted on a sunstrand hydro to my 3416 and before it saw any real service I replaced the hoses (earlier remote filter model) and did a filter and oil change. I think it's just good practice when you get a machine you don't know the upkeep history of.

gwiseman
Originally posted by drbrian722

I did the oil on my Conquest (K66) and did a write up of the whole thing on a different site. [http://www.mytractorforum.com/16-simplicity-allis-chalmers-forum/247125-conquest-k66-oil-change.html] The actual oil change will be a little different, but getting to the axle and the general idea of what you're in for is the same.The difference in my Conquest after doing it puts me squarely in the "change the oil" camp. In fact I just grafted on a sunstrand hydro to my 3416 and before it saw any real service I replaced the hoses (earlier remote filter model) and did a filter and oil change. I think it's just good practice when you get a machine you don't know the upkeep history of. [ /quote]My Dad never change trans fluid on anything; thought it stirred up filings & could cause problems. I'm w/Chris & Brian though. Fluid & filter (if equipped) change have worked well for me.

John_in_Oxford
quote:Originally posted by gwiseman

The difference in my Conquest after doing it puts me squarely in the "change the oil" camp. In fact I just grafted on a sunstrand hydro to my 3416 and before it saw any real service I replaced the hoses (earlier remote filter model) and did a filter and oil change. I think it's just good practice when you get a machine you don't know the upkeep history of. [ /quote]

My Dad never change trans fluid on anything; thought it stirred up filings & could cause problems. I'm w/Chris & Brian though. Fluid & filter (if equipped) change have worked well for me.

id="quote">
id="quote">

I'm curious: Was the changeover to the Sunstrand one of convenience (meaning it was just handy), or because it offers some advantage?

I have a 3416H with the Vickers, and I'm so in love with the way it allows me to adjust for load and terrain without shifting or changing throttle - such a change from clutch/grind etc.