Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I love this barn !!

rokon2813

How often do you see a 3 story barn with a ground level entrance to ALL 3 floors ??? Built in 1788 according to the date carved in the stone foundation.

trip 006.jpg

57e05a1be74e4_trip006.jpg.a7a42f3d90997c7a19994068902b8b06.jpg

in my youth i saw one often it is still in use today as a storage building. Originally cows in the front lower level, grain/feed in the second level from the west side and hay in upper level from the rear.

That barn fortunately has had some good care. Don't see old Americana cared for like that very often. What a prize.

I was particularly intrigued with the Round Barns in and around Binghamton NY, along the original Route 9. The highway would snake around the barns, so that they were not disturbed on their original foundations.

I have always been a fan of old barns and enjoy looking at the different building designs in different parts of the country.

I am very sorry to see these fine buildings disappearing at an alarming rate here in America's dairy land.

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

How often do you see a 3 story barn with a ground level entrance to ALL 3 floors ??? Built in 1788 according to the date carved in the stone foundation.

trip 006.jpg

id="quote">
id="quote">I see no harm in telling the club members that is the late JimDK's barn.I sure miss that guy!John U

No harm at all John.

I take it you have been there if you recognize it.

Jim did take care of it, but the boys are thinking of getting the Amish in to brace it. The foundation is starting to lean in some.

That's definitely one to be proud of and keep up. Someone did a fine job of utilizing the lay of the land.;)

Good old Yankee engineering, carpentry, workmanship, and maintenance at its finest. Wish I had one like it here! Beautiful - Thanks Dan