Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Woot

Sunstar CH20 Starter wiring question

Woot

I have 2 Sunstars, both rebuilt this Spring. The old M20 starter has just one electrical connection. Simple, the battery hot wire goes here. The other tractor has the CH20 engine. It appears there are 2 electrical connections on the starter. As I can't remember the exact wire setup, I hooked the hot wire to the connection farthest from the engine and hooked the other small black wire to the other connection.

When trying to start, the engine hiccups as it rotates and sounds like crap. I didn't touch the starter itself, so unless the pinion is not fully engaging the flywheel, it has to be the wiring setup. So how should the wiring go? BTW: it does eventually start, but I'm afraid I'll tear the starter or flywheel up. Thanks guys!!

Yukon posted a picture of his starter which has a separate solenoid just off the starter. My connections are on the back of the starter.

BLT

What you have with the Command is a clutching starter where the gear is pulled in by the solenoid on top of the starter and energized by a signal from the ignition switch. There is a spade on the solenoid where the signal wire attaches. The main power from battery has to connect to the empty stud on the starter solenoid for it to function properly. It is an easy enough fix by using the existing solenoid to supply signal to the spade on the starter. You'll probably have to make up a new power wire from the battery and a new power wire to the existing tractor solenoid.

Woot

BLT; I hadn't thought about the solenoid acting up. But it seems I had issues with it last season. Did a cleanup and it started working correctly. I will replace it and hopefully I'll be back in the pink! Thanks guys!