Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar CH20 Starter wiring question

Woot

I have 2 Sunstars, both rebuilt this Spring. The old M20 starter has just one electrical connection. Simple, the battery hot wire goes here. The other tractor has the CH20 engine. It appears there are 2 electrical connections on the starter. As I can't remember the exact wire setup, I hooked the hot wire to the connection farthest from the engine and hooked the other small black wire to the other connection.

When trying to start, the engine hiccups as it rotates and sounds like crap. I didn't touch the starter itself, so unless the pinion is not fully engaging the flywheel, it has to be the wiring setup. So how should the wiring go? BTW: it does eventually start, but I'm afraid I'll tear the starter or flywheel up. Thanks guys!!

Yukon posted a picture of his starter which has a separate solenoid just off the starter. My connections are on the back of the starter.

What you have with the Command is a clutching starter where the gear is pulled in by the solenoid on top of the starter and energized by a signal from the ignition switch. There is a spade on the solenoid where the signal wire attaches. The main power from battery has to connect to the empty stud on the starter solenoid for it to function properly. It is an easy enough fix by using the existing solenoid to supply signal to the spade on the starter. You'll probably have to make up a new power wire from the battery and a new power wire to the existing tractor solenoid.

Wayne, any circuit that uses safety switches to find it's way to the starter is considered a "nanny" circuit, so your answer is yes.

BLT; I hadn't thought about the solenoid acting up. But it seems I had issues with it last season. Did a cleanup and it started working correctly. I will replace it and hopefully I'll be back in the pink! Thanks guys!