Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

916h starter problems.. ACR??? (K341s)

hurleyii

Ok, well I took BLT's advice and double checked my connections to starter and they are all clean and appeared to be acceptable before cleaning.

I also PB blasted the starter and it seems a little smoother perhaps. (Bosch starter)

Either way it spins over great with spark plug removed but it won't turn over with it in79 percent of the time. Randomly it will take off and go like normal. I was informed of a spring inside the engine that causes the ACR to release. Is this a probable cause and if so what's the fix?

Also I didn't remove the solenoid and clean it's connection to the frame. Should I do this or is it irrelevant?

I do have the ability to switch starters with another starter from my other tractors if a k301 starter will work on a k 341 if you guys think it could be a starter issue!!

Thanks for all the help guys!!!!

You can remove the cam gear cover to see if the acr spring is broken. It can also be replaced with the cam gear cover. when the engine comes to a stop, the acr spring moves a lever towards the center of the cam gear and locks the acr in position for starting.

The acr spring is a V shape with a prong on each end that locks on the two weights, if either prong is broken off the acr isn't working

There is one other possibility, I am not sure of the exact type of starter you have, but one of the types for the Magnum series actually has a "clutch" if you would call it that. The starter gear and the driven disc and shaft are not actually physically connected.

How do I know this? Well, after cleaning and lubricating everything on the starter's gear end, and re-installing, the starter wouldn't engage. I couldn't understand why the gear wouldn't kick out and engage the flywheel. Finally I was able to get a look at what was going on, fortunately before I pulled everything apart again. The gear was engaging, and the shaft of the starter was spinning, but the gear was not! I thought, what the heck, did the gear come apart? So I pulled it out and examined. The rubber dust cover that is around the gear drive (not the dust cover over the end of the shaft) is actually also a clutch as it were. There is a steel disc that pushes out on the rubber and against the back of the gear and engages it to the fly wheel, the rubber is also between the steel plate and the gear. The steel plate is meshed with the shaft, but the fact that it pushes against the rubber and the back of the gear is the connection that spins the gear. In my cleaning and lubrication, I had ended up soaking this rubber with lubricant, so in essence, the clutch was slipping. Cleaned it all up, and it worked like a charm.

I hadn't seen this before on a Kohler starter, and the other ones I looked at that I had were not set up like this. So maybe check and see if the starter you are using is similar, and maybe you too have a "slipping clutch".

Most of Kohler singles 10hp through 18hp used the same starter for the high mount starter (most common).

Some Kohler starters mounted differently the low mount starter has a different body but mounts to the same holes on the block.

As far as ACR not working, the starter should rotate the engine and then stall at the top of the compression stroke. If the movement started at the beginning of the exhaust stroke it would probably have enough momentum to carry over the compression stroke (thus starting some of the time?)

• 2 weeks later...

OK I dont have a engine service manual and I need pics of this ACR so I can figure this out before I send this engine in for a rebuild

So pics please guys or service manual link!! ^

Also will this part come with a engine rebuild kit?

Thanks for all the help guys!!!