Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Triad - Flywheel Removal

skilibarda

I have a Simplicity Sovereign with the Kohler TH18 Engine, and have never had a problem with it until this weekend. I had been using it, and it just quit, wouldn't restart. Inspection revealed that the timing belt and #1 sprocket came off. In the process it cut the stator wire in two. I purchased a new stator, but now my trouble begins. I can't get the flywheel off. I bent my removal tool trying to get it off, and it won't budge. I have given it some light tapping with a compocast hammer, no movement. I discovered that neither of the cam sprockets have a retainer on them. so it's suprising that this wasn't a problem earlier, so I am going to have to get those too.

Since I had the motor out of the tractor, I figured I would give it an oil change too, I couldn't get the oil filter off. it turned a little then just locked up, I turned it back tight, then loose, and it would catch. I wiggled it back and forth, and it came loose. Inspected the filter, out came a 4mm washer head bolt about 3/4" long. What the heck is that? I assume it must have fallen in the filter and someone put the filter on without knowing. Is there any other explanation? Could this be from somewhere else?

Any hints on flywheel removal?

I think the previous owner who did some work on this might have the Rectifier in wrong too, the wires seem extremely vulnerable, They are routed up near the timing belt, outside the cowl and connect to the top. Judging by some other drawings I have seen the wires connect to the bottom.

Any help is appreciated. This has been a great tractor so far. Plowing, Tilling and Mowing, it's an invaluable tool to me.

It's not in the book, but sometimes you have to turn in the crankshaft bolt less washer until it bottoms out and then give the bolt head a rap with a hammer to see if it will jolt it loose. Others can pipe in on it.

Well, I was able to finally get it off. Letting it soak over the weekend with penetrating oil did the trick, along with a couple whacks from the compocast hammer. Thanks for the input. I was still baffled by the bolt in the oil filter. It must have fallen in with the last oil change.

The Old Triad fired right up after re-assembly, and is running better than ever.