Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

kohler command out of a cub into a sovereign

truckin88

truckin88

Hi all new to the simple side of tractors have had many WHs and JDs. In reading on here I have found that I can swap a 90s/00s era command from a shaft driven cub to a sovereign with a triad. I currently have 2 a 75th triad still runs ok but has the valve cover leak and a 18 hydro, which also runs. Currently the 75th is up for sale to fund another project. I have a few cubs by me mostly with 16hp commands. And they are in the 200-300 range. Any advice on the swap, is it straight forward? All info welcome thanks.

You might PM a member called Burntime and ask him. I helped with the wiring but he did the conversion parts.

I don't remember anyone posting about installing a single cylinder Command (16HP is single cylinder I believe) into a Triad based Sovereign. Lots written about twin Commands into Triad based Soveriegns.

I have been looking can't find details. Any reason why a 16hp single kohler would not work? Out of a cub 2166 shaft drivers, there are a bunch out there for roughly 100-400 for entire tractor, looks like great motor bad trans.

Please do send links, maybe my wording is bad. When I try to search interested in commands or Magnums from shaft driven cubs into sovereigns.

I don't know about the 90's 00's era cubs, but the earlier ones had the oil pan integral to the tractor frame and would not work in a Simplicity without at least a pan. Not sure if any other differences.

Also what about kohler horizontal motors out of other non shaft driven machines like a 90s craftsman

What about a magnum twin horizontal that was belt driven out of a craftsman the m18 is a check of a motor.

Guys thank you for all the help, I have a lead on a m18 out of a Sears gt6000 going to check it out, May work? My only concern is the Sears is belt driven but it is horizontal. The whole running tractor is 200 bucks.