Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New member, question

Brent

Hi guys, found this place while researching a tractor I'm likely going to buy.

Before I get into that I'll preface by talking about what I have. Last fall I bought a 9020 pow'r'max as a basket case. The thing has turned out to be much better than it looked, so far. It is not yet lawn worthy, but it should be mobile this summer. Has a 60" deck and tiller with it. I have an acreage, which made short work of a Murray rider I started with, last summer I borrowed my dads Deere, which I can no longer stomach. ( the borrowing part, and the Deere part). So I was looking for a cost friendly, user friendly, hydro unit that I can use in the mean time, and maybe able to get the wife on when the 9020 is going. Well I found a simplicity SERF 525 for sale close by, turns over, but not running. Cheap (right up my alley) I know it doesn't really fall into my original criteria, except cost friendly, but there is just something about this serf that makes me want it. My question is, should I leave it be or is it a good little machine?

well I have never seen a turf 525 . but I looked it up and if its that teeny weenie thing I would say get it if you can afford it ! thats fun as heck .you can pick up another bigger one for couple hundred later .I would like to have just for kicks . and welcome sm01 I am new here too . lots of great guys and info

The Serf is simply a smaller version of the big boys. Very well built, and will do a great job of cutting. A bit small for "acreage" as you say, but tough little machine.

When you get the 9020 running, you can hang it off of the back, like those runabouts on yachts.

Welcome to the club, Brent, you will find much information and many friends here.

Welcome! :J

quote:Originally posted by Brettw

When you get the 9020 running, you can hang it off of the back, like those runabouts on yachts.

id="quote">
id="quote">I think this is a fantastic suggestion! ;)The Serf is a neat little machine, and collected primarily as a novelty by most, but it's build like it's older kin, as Brett points out, and is a great lawn tractor, with ability like that of larger machines...tilling, blowing snow, grading, pushing etc. If it's cheap enough (they don't typically fetch much...next to nothing, non-running), grab it!It is however, the polar opposite of the 9020 you grabbed, and far from what it sounds like you 'need'. The Serf would take about 6X as long to mow vs the 9020.

Thanks for the suggestions, and confirmation about the serf. I know it's the polar opposite of the 9020. I would really like a 7000 series or so but it seems they come with a brick of gold under the seat for what people are asking for them around here. As for the acreage, it's ok if it's not all mowed right away. Just so long as I can mow a decent amount for the kids to play. There is still some landscaping going on so in the back I can just run the discer over it with my farm tractor if there's too much to mow. The serf is advertised under 100 bucks. Looks complete and not hammered or rusty too bad.

I just envisioned it replacing the push mower, and complimenting the 9020 by doing around the few trees I have, around the buildings and such. At least that's how I justify this in my mind. Lol.

Ps.

there's nothing I hate more than push mowing.