Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Won't run without choke on

Antlers170

Hello all I have a 64 landlord with the 23 d 9 horse and having issue with it not running unless the choke is on .. My guess is carb and will start ther first so was wondering if anyone else may have some same issues and or some other things to look for thanks ...

It started cutting out on me like half way thru mowing the yard like it wasn't getting gas and now it just won't stay running without choke on

Check the elbow that enters the carb. I had a couple of those that were really plugged. After you have verified good flow thru fuel line , then attention will have to be addressed in the carb.

Also check the two gasket joints connecting the carb. Like Brent said, could be sucking air. If you have some spray Gumout , spray the two joints and if the engine reacts to it , its' either gaskets or loose connections.

I've had the same issue and it was due to the nut/stud holding the carb on had loosened up.

Choking it makes the mixture richer so if applying the choke fixes it, the mixture is to lean. This is due to a lack of fuel or excess air. I'm a small engine idiot and that simple explanation has helped me find several issues.

If you have an inline filter make sure you have the Briggs red one designed for gravity feed carbs. It is p/n 298090 and 150 microns.

When I first got my 64 LL with the original 23D, and a carb rebuild, running in 2005 it would run out of fuel after running 15 minutes, more or less and the proper, filter took right care of that problem.

Gary

Excellent feedback thank you all ,, I def no I do not have that right fuel filter on it so I'll get that one also

Ran for a while then cut-out? Shortly after new lines, etc installed?

Could be a fleck of paint or bit of grit got into the fuel line/carb and found it's way to an itty bitty hole inside the carb and plugged it up.

Choking may give the engine enough gas to keep it running without load, but not enough while under load. My son had the same symptoms with an MTD with Techumseh (gesundheit). Ran like a top with choke wide closed but only while sitting still. A thorough cleaning of all orifices cleaned up the gook that built up from sitting for 3 years before he acquired it got her back in shape.

Who knows what may have gotten into that shiny new fuel line before you acquired it.?

After you've tried all the 'before removing the carb' fixes, you may need to give the carb a good cleaning. Blow air both directions into every orifice inside and outside the carb. Liberlly shower with carb cleaner.

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, Brent_Baumer said:

It's really been 6 years since I last posted?

Nope, looks like 4 years, 2 months:

607cc948a6000_BrentRecentPosts.JPG.2653f5f3c736168c0a3347912828490e.JPG

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

Nope, looks like 4 years, 2 months:

607cc948a6000_BrentRecentPosts.JPG.2653f5f3c736168c0a3347912828490e.JPG

I think those are some auto "posts" or something about some of the tractors I own or used to own.  Something must have changed on this site that day.

18 minutes ago, Brent_Baumer said:

I think those are some auto "posts" or something about some of the tractors I own or used to own.

Ahh, 2/1/17 appears to be the date in the registry for many of the early uploads of tractor info and/or pics to the new site's "registry".  

On 5/11/2015 at 1:51 AM, Antlers170 said:

Hello all I have a 64 landlord with the 23 d 9 horse and having issue with it not running unless the choke is on .. My guess is carb and will start ther first so was wondering if anyone else may have some same issues and or some other things to look for thanks ...

On my 3416 H ...16 HP Briggs it was doing the same thing. I corrected it by opening the main jet on the carb just a bit and now it's fixed.

Hope this helps