Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

thoughts on a 4041 swap

mtoney

I have a 4041 offered to me in trade for my 920 diesel. Has narrow front tri ribs, 8-16 rears that have truck tires on them for the moment, no mower deck but does come with a 52" snowthrower and does have the complete 3pt on the rear. Engine has 110psi compression on both cylinders but has an ignition issue at the moment, sounds like points/condenser or coil from talking to him. I am leaning strongly towards this tractor but wanted to bounce the idea off others. Mike

midnightpumpkin

Does it have a working rear PTO? That makes a big difference in being able to sell a Powermax.

I would be looking for money coming your way, how much depends on the condition of the 4041.

My 2 cents.

John U

It also depends on the condition of each machine and why each of you wants to trade. Attachments for each? Maintenance, repair, running costs?

All of the power max style tractors I see localy for sale, fetch more than I feel the 920 is worth. Localy the 920's tend to range from 1000 to 1800ish. Mine should fall somewhere in the middle of that range, repainted with spray bombs, looks good for a worker paint job, runs good but needs worked to seat the new rings. Comes with blade and mower deck, blade repainted, mower deck works but could use gone thru. His was running but developed an issue with loss of spark. That is nothing big to me to deal with. It does have the narrow tires front and rear which is desirable for me as I want the tractor for plow days and garden work. I will ask him today if the rear PTO is intact and functional. I want to start working the 920 and worry about engine parts costs. Nothing on that diesel is cheap or easy to find. Onan parts are not cheap but not as bad as the diesel and much easier to find. Just my thoughts, I still havent decided.