Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Mike_H

Mower Deck arbor Bearings.

Mike_H

I'm rebuilding the spindles on a 990885 42" deck, and everything has been pretty stuck together. I got the spindles pressed out of the housings, but the lower bearings (closest to the blade mounting flange) stuck on the spindles. There isn't really any room to get any support in there to help press them off...any advice? I can cut em off, but would rather not.

dentwizz

If you can get a wedge shaped punch or chisel and hammer it in from the side, flip it and do the same sometimes that loosens it enough to continue. If you have access to a bearing puller sometimes you can get enough clearance doing that to use the puller. Heat is your friend as well.

docs

Big Hammer, Chisel and Lots of heat, I have rebuilt a couple and for the most part you can get sealed bearings pretty cheap to replace the original and best way is to pry out the inside seals and drill and tap your spindle tubes install grease zerts so you can grease the bearings.

Mike_H

I got em apart today...used a little bit of kroil (the stuff is amazing) throughout the day and two of them popped right off. the third one took a fair bit of persuasion. oxy-acetylene torch and a couple of big die bars. got it cherry red, still wouldn't move. tossed a 20 ounce glass of water on it, and that shocked the joint enough to break the rust bond. After that, more kroil and prying with the die bars. I kinda damaged the shims on that one...hope they will be ok. I have access to shim stock, so I might try to make new ones.

Appalachian
quote:Originally posted by Mike_H

I got em apart today...used a little bit of kroil (the stuff is amazing) throughout the day and two of them popped right off. the third one took a fair bit of persuasion. oxy-acetylene torch and a couple of big die bars. got it cherry red, still wouldn't move. tossed a 20 ounce glass of water on it, and that shocked the joint enough to break the rust bond. After that, more kroil and prying with the die bars. I kinda damaged the shims on that one...hope they will be ok. I have access to shim stock, so I might try to make new ones.

id="quote">
id="quote">Kroil is amazing. No shop should be without it.

Appalachian
quote:Originally posted by Mike_H

id="quote">
id="quote">Kroil is amazing. No shop should be without it.

Mike_H
quote:Originally posted by RayS

These will come apart with a hammer and a punch.

id="quote">
id="quote">What will? The spindles? Maybe...but the bearing was still seized on the shaft. I used a 20T Hydraulic press, cuz its easier.