Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower Deck arbor Bearings.

Mike_H

I'm rebuilding the spindles on a 990885 42" deck, and everything has been pretty stuck together. I got the spindles pressed out of the housings, but the lower bearings (closest to the blade mounting flange) stuck on the spindles. There isn't really any room to get any support in there to help press them off...any advice? I can cut em off, but would rather not.

If you can get a wedge shaped punch or chisel and hammer it in from the side, flip it and do the same sometimes that loosens it enough to continue. If you have access to a bearing puller sometimes you can get enough clearance doing that to use the puller. Heat is your friend as well.

Big Hammer, Chisel and Lots of heat, I have rebuilt a couple and for the most part you can get sealed bearings pretty cheap to replace the original and best way is to pry out the inside seals and drill and tap your spindle tubes install grease zerts so you can grease the bearings.

I got em apart today...used a little bit of kroil (the stuff is amazing) throughout the day and two of them popped right off. the third one took a fair bit of persuasion. oxy-acetylene torch and a couple of big die bars. got it cherry red, still wouldn't move. tossed a 20 ounce glass of water on it, and that shocked the joint enough to break the rust bond. After that, more kroil and prying with the die bars. I kinda damaged the shims on that one...hope they will be ok. I have access to shim stock, so I might try to make new ones.

quote:Originally posted by Mike_H

I got em apart today...used a little bit of kroil (the stuff is amazing) throughout the day and two of them popped right off. the third one took a fair bit of persuasion. oxy-acetylene torch and a couple of big die bars. got it cherry red, still wouldn't move. tossed a 20 ounce glass of water on it, and that shocked the joint enough to break the rust bond. After that, more kroil and prying with the die bars. I kinda damaged the shims on that one...hope they will be ok. I have access to shim stock, so I might try to make new ones.

id="quote">
id="quote">Kroil is amazing. No shop should be without it.

quote:Originally posted by Mike_H

id="quote">
id="quote">Kroil is amazing. No shop should be without it.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

These will come apart with a hammer and a punch.

id="quote">
id="quote">What will? The spindles? Maybe...but the bearing was still seized on the shaft. I used a 20T Hydraulic press, cuz its easier.