Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
mfnheff

simplicity 725 questions

mfnheff

Hi...I just got a 725, and have a few questions. First, the data tag behind the seat only has 5 numbers on it, 17294. I can't find any thing to go on with that short of a number. Anyone have any idea? From what I've seen and been told, it's an early build due to the short steering column, which is chrome, and a straight shifter. It has been repowered with a 23ab that I'm rebuilding. My next questions is about the front wheels. Does anyone know of another wheel that fits the spindles, as far as depth of the hub? The original wheels I have are toast. I guess that's all for now. Thanks

rokon2813

First, with a short column and straight shifter, it should be a 700, not 725.

Second, 17294 is probably serial number, not model. That should be a 990168 I think, or possibly 990169.

Pretty sure the later wheels with tapered bearings will fit that spindle, Like Landlord or B10 wheels.

mfnheff

I can't find a model number or any other numbers anywhere. When I got it the hood and grill were off the tractor, I assume due to the engine swap, which wasn't finished, so they could be from a later machine. At any rate, hood does have 725 emblems. Who knows. Came from a junkyard so no telling what the plan was with it. I'll post a pic or three when I read the faq on that.

Oh...it does have tapered bearings in the front wheels now, the kind with an integrated rubber dust shield. I have a set of wheels from a gravely on the front now, as rollers, and the hubs are longer than the original wheels so the locking collar won't go on far enough for the set screw to log down on the spindle.