Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
B110guy

Converting FDT Sickle Mower to Heim Joints...?

B110guy

Last year my FDT sickle mower broke the sickle drive bolt and the 2 halves of the drive bearing went in opposite directions. I've read of people converting them to the later style ball joints. Jacks wants a small fortune for those joints. Is there anything special about them, or can I source it all from McMaster Carr or Fastenal? Needing to get the mower running again to mow the pastures.

B110guy

Edit to change heim joint to ball joint. I can buy them from McMaster for $8 a piece, Jacks wants $52 each.

dentwizz

I have mine converted.

The drawback is the heim joint does not have the inherrent mass-balance that the oem design does. This places a good bit more lateral forces on the mounts, which may or may not be an issue for your usage level.

B110guy

That is exactly what I'm replacing. Did you cut threads in the center section? I was thinking if just getting one of those long nuts to use. Or look through the McMaster catalog long enough to find one. I take it it holds up well?

B110guy

GregB

Yes I tapped the center rod to match the threads on the heim joints.

Works fine, I only use it once or twice a year when the township gets behind on their roadside weed mowing.