Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Converting FDT Sickle Mower to Heim Joints...?

B110guy

Last year my FDT sickle mower broke the sickle drive bolt and the 2 halves of the drive bearing went in opposite directions. I've read of people converting them to the later style ball joints. Jacks wants a small fortune for those joints. Is there anything special about them, or can I source it all from McMaster Carr or Fastenal? Needing to get the mower running again to mow the pastures.

B110guy

Edit to change heim joint to ball joint. I can buy them from McMaster for $8 a piece, Jacks wants $52 each.

I have mine converted.

The drawback is the heim joint does not have the inherrent mass-balance that the oem design does. This places a good bit more lateral forces on the mounts, which may or may not be an issue for your usage level.

Is this the part you need to replace?

link.jpg

I bought the ends from McMaster, used cold rolled steel for the center section.

That is exactly what I'm replacing. Did you cut threads in the center section? I was thinking if just getting one of those long nuts to use. Or look through the McMaster catalog long enough to find one. I take it it holds up well?

B110guy

Yes I tapped the center rod to match the threads on the heim joints.

Works fine, I only use it once or twice a year when the township gets behind on their roadside weed mowing.