Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MarksA-C

Latest Project, Diesel Jacobsen Chief!

MarksA-C

Haven't posted in a while, still here though. Yup, a Diesel in a Jacobsen Chief. I didn't put the engine in it and I got the tractor from Lloyd Boy. Whoever put the engine into this machine did a GREAT job! Rubber mounts, extra framing, extra supports to stabilize the engine, all aligned proper... its fantastic! I have never worked on a diesel of my own so this was a learning curve. Hand crank start and a BEAR to get spinning up to speed. After 3 days of messing with it I finally got it running! At least good enough to know it will work.The tractor is a 1966 Jacobsen Chief 1000 with 3 speed transmission. Very well built tractor. The engine is a older Farymann SP10 flywheel diesel engine. Should be about 10hp and its a MASSIVE engine for this machine compared to the 10hp kohler that once was in it.

dfeba7c7-4525-49c3-bb53-15663d01810d.jpg

001aad97-d8b9-4a4e-b313-5cebb5e6970b.jpg

258422db-1471-427c-9b1b-184fe699f150.jpg

Here is a video of the beast running!

Overall plans for it are to tune up the engine and get it running smooth, add a throttle, better wheels and tires, fix the seat and probably even give it a nice paint job. Its a cool machine that someone obviously took the time to build proper. I hope I can get the hood and grill to fit again, Might have to lengthen the hood a bit and trim the grill to fit. THEN the tast is how to mount it all that its solid enough that it doesn't shake itself to pieces!Thanks everyone!

191d8638-9715-4347-a2be-d456dfb5e1cd.jpg

MarksA-C

I'm thinking this thing will get a new grill, then painted blue with raw aluminum on the dash and grill. Kinda go for a theme based off the engine. Heck, maybe even call it a Farymann tractor? It will be interesting either way.

Surprisingly, the clutch and brake work as the original tractor had it, so this thing stops on a dime! Otherwise in low gear at idle it could rip out trees haha

MarksA-C

Its not any faster, but has a LOT more torque. I might end up changing the pulleys around some to get a little more use out of first gear.

There is a sport for it, but I haven't taken the cover off to see if the flywheel is geared or not. I have it running pretty good now, crank up to speed and pop the decompression and off it goes. I may switch to electric start later on but thats a much later project.

Sign in to follow this