Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

620 trans question

720nut

I finally got running only to find that when I try hydro it will stall engine and no movement does the same in reverse or forward anybody have a clue? All ready have way more than planned in it.C

Ronald brakes are free. I've took a few things apart since I posted, oil is contaminated, thought I cleaned rear housing good initially but didn't this time it's clean. It plugged the filter am hoping that's all it plugged. I bought this tractor for the loader and decided to redo it, almost wishing I'ld never have started. To much money in to back out now, if its hydro does anyone know of trust worthy person to rebuild ?

Do you have to push the clutch pedal in to start it or will it start and run with the clutch engaged? When running and you move the hydro lever is that when the engine bogs? With the belly pan off can you hand rotate the drive shaft going to the hydro?

And just to confirm about brakes, do the rear wheels turn freely for more than just a little rocking ie can you push the tractor for a couple feet with the rear wheels turning freely?

Isetta, don't need clutch pushed does it when you move the lever forward or reverse, shaft turns fine. as for the brakes there free. Going to put new filter and fluid in and give it another try, I'm afraid it may be a clog somewhere in the pump, it seems to build up pressure but will not turn trans.

Do the lift cylinders work? That would tell you if the pump was working.

Are you sure there is not a loose part inside the gearbox jamming the gears?

Changing the filter and fluid does not seem like it would affect the problem. If the hydro is stalling the engine when you push the lever forward or reverse, I am thinking it is something going on in the gearbox.

My 2cents.

John U

John lift cyl will not lift. as for something jamming gears I had it apart and did not see anything in it. This time it didn't stall but put a little load on engine. This is at an idle I need new carb have not ordered yet, wanted to make sure it was going to move before I spent to much more on it. done for today

Sorry to hear that Lloyd. I had a couple situations that resulted in similar issue, engine stalled when releasing clutch and tractor would not move. The clutch bearings locked up. Likely not what you have but sure was surprised at how quickly the thing decided not to move! 2. Ice in gearbox locked up the unit. Like John said you might have an errant cover bolt or something else jamming the gears.

3. Brakes locked in the on position, really puzzling and tough to get them to release. For the ice issue, I jacked the wheels off the ground, pulled the gearbox cover, turned one wheel by hand and watched inside the gearbox. Shifted through all gears to see that everything turning once I got all the ice melted.

You might also check for a collapsed hydro hose

Sorry to hear about your hydro nightmare. Been there, done that! Could there be a stuck check valve or charge relief valve. Was there water in the fluid? If another fluid change does fix it I wouldn't run it anymore than necessarily. It just will run the repair bill up. $750 per cylinder pump/motor, 350 for charge pump, 140 per cylinder plates. I do have spare hydro, have not had time to break down for inspection. Good luck

Micheal, welcome to the club.

Yes it did have water in it, I've considered a stuck valve but it seems to push fluid back into trans. I did get lift arms to raise very slowly and then nothing. Last night took cover off trans again,drained fluid, seems input shaft is seized, I've checked for a bolt or something foreign but so far nothing ,pryed on teeth and still no movement, hard to believe a bolt would wedge that tight. And yes I did try prying the shaft in both directions. I would think that if a bolt one way would seize and other would turn allowing object to be removed ?

Good luck Lloyd. What a pain...These stories scare me as I have yet to start & try my "new" AC616 (it sat outside for the last 7 yrs.) I guess I should do that b4 buying anything else for it..?

Yeah Greg,:( wish I'ld done several things before I got to this stage I've got it all painted and now I'm going to have to pull rear and hydro unit out, probably mess up my paint.8C

If I ever decide to do another I'll deffinitly make sure everthing works first. Mine had set out for who knows how many years (basket case when I bought it)

Knowing what I know now it would have remained a parts tractor but,I'm not one to just let things set, wife says it's a curse.

Greg I do have a spare Onan 19.5 CCKB needs rebuilt if interested

John I'm just going to pull the hole XXXX unit and do it like I should have in the first place, only logical choice now if I was to pull one or the other my luck being it would be the other one so fix it right

Yea I know but, I'm going try and make sure that I won't have to do it again. What ever it is has got it locked up tight

Good luck!!! When I redid my loader tractor the 4040 wish I would have done a few things different as well, I guess that's where the saying live and learn comes from, I am slowly but surly doing one of my 9020's right now, making sure there's no oil leaks and every time I fix something it gets 5 hours of run time before I move on to the next thing. Took awhile to get the motor figured out but thanks to John and all his wisdom of these tractors the electronic ignition was the way to go and I could move on, now it's just the drop axel oil leak then I think it's ready for paint. I'm in no way trying to discredit you loyd but John knows what he's talking about if it were me I would follow Johns advice to a tee, but that's just me, good luck

Say no more I agree John is the Guru on these tractors, And so much for short cuts, you see where it got me. I plan to drop trans and hydro this weekend if time permits. All new seals and bearings where needed along with anything else that needs fixed.

Bought a digital inspection camera but forgot batteries, go fiquire. as soon as store opens will get them and see whats going on I hope

OK $100 later and three busted knuckles I've finally got hydro out. Could not turn pinion at first but put wrench on nut and it turned,It's kind of tight but you can turn by hand. Trans seems free, glad I took Johns advise and didn't pull trans. He's the man on these tractors

John (midnightpumpkin) is going to get a big head out of this post!

Glad you were able to isolate the problem.

You may want to replace seals on the rear axles, but that can be done later, after you get some run time on the tractor.

See you when you come to get the parts tractor.

John U

• 2 weeks later...

^Got a chance to work on it today, removed hydro from parts tractor,cleaned and installed got a few things hooked up. Hoping to get it running by wen or thurs.

dOdIT'S ALIVE !!!!dOd:J

First of all want to really thank John for all the help and parts. Got it going tonight new hydro works great, moves for first time in who knows how many years.

Thanks to everyone for there help and words of encouragementsm01